Saturday, July 4, 2009

To Create or Not to Create?

In the midst of writing classes, query letters, synopsis, writing contests, and critiquing my WIP and agent hunting (apart from the family), which do I choose?

There are times when I have written a story sketch and stashed it for a later date that the characters and plot awaken from their crypts, begging me to venture into their world. If I am in the middle of editing my manuscript, I will not weave another tale. I force them away and refocus. I can feel them calling out to me—imploring me to write their story, to write their say, to write their song.

I must confess that I have ignored their siren call to complete one project before moving on to the next.

Am I mistaken for that?

As I have learned, when I am ready to create that world, their voices have fallen into silence. I bemoan the death. Would I have been able to create one realm while I reconstructed another? Can I divide myself like that? Can I slip into an undead character one hour and then faerie the next?

As of now, I am facing that dilemma. I am working on my MS, preparing it for submission. Paranormal Romance. And now a Science Fiction story sketch is submerging from its catacomb, begging to be explored. Recorded into words.

Along with the listed items at the beginning, can I truly squeeze in creating another world? I can feel the magic stirring behind my thoughts. Do I tell my hero and heroine to wait another day until I am completed with the quest of other things?

How do tackle your erupting magic?

7 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,

    I've had the same problem in the past. So many people have told me to just write the first book of a series, then submit it and write the first book of another series or a stand alone novel. But the truth is, I can't leave that 4 novel story alone. I have to get to the end of it before moving on to another project.

    Meanwhile, ideas for other books and characters nag at me until they keep me up all night playing their scenes over and over in my head. Here's what I do.

    First of all, when I sit down to do actual writing I work on my series. It's the priority above all else.

    Then, as do a majority of writers, I do a writing exercise in the mornings to get my creative juices flowing. I usually do this in a different location away from my computer and scribe it by hand. For some reason it brings the creative side of my brain to life. When I do these exercises, I purge my mind of all the outside character's thoughts and scenes. Sometimes it reads more like an outline and other times it's just my brain dumping information. So far it seems to be helping.

    I know that when I get finished with my project or find a pausing moment when I feel like working on something else, I can go back to my notebooks and decipher my scribblings into that story.

    Does it help me sleep? No, but it does seem to calm the voices a bit and help me focus on the current project.

    I hope this helps. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it really helps to write another story in between editing, because let's face it, editing stinks. So if you can keep your writing side happy by writing another story while editing your WIP at the same time I say do it. My problem right now is that no other stories begging to be written, so I just keep plugging away on my WIP. Editing is so tedious that I just want to stop writing altogether, which I did, and now it's hard to get back into the swing of things. So if you can write another story in between editing I would do it. Now writing two completely different stories at the same time might be a little crazy. In that instance my friend, Jenni starts them both then sees which story is strongest and goes with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do both editing and writing. They use different parts of my brain and keep my excitement over writing alive while I do the mundane work of editing. But you have to ask yourself, are you wanting to move along because you are sabotaging your own success. Sometimes I do that. I see a project almost done and I'm scared so I move on to another project as a good excuse not to make the first one perfect. Then, if I get rejected on it, I use the excuse, "oh, well, it wasn't as good as it could've been." I've had to give myself some time outs and force myself to make a project as good as possible and face my fears of rejection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so very much for visiting and for your very helpful comments, I really appreciate it! There's so many opportunities to do whatever, I think it's a matter of finding your groove, right? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elizabeth! I haven't got an e-mail from you yet. Did that address work or not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's me rushing again. I wanted to comment on your post!

    I used to despair that I had so many story ideas, but it seemed to take me ten years to write a single book. Now I've learned that I can draft a novel in a few months if I just write forward and don't look back until the end. Other ideas that pop up, I brain-dump into my crazy patchwork idea notebook. They'll get their turn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If all I focus on is one project I find I burn out much faster. I have many things going at once. Like Christine I have a series that is SCREAMING to be written and that obviously takes most of my time. But when I am in editing mode like I am with this one I dabble in other things. It keeps me happy. I am balancing editing my SF series, writing my YA paranormal and plotting my space western.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!