Monday, November 2, 2009

Uh Oh! There's a Monster Inside Me!

This is going to be a rather informal post because of NaNoWriMo. I've been doing a lot of thinking about the post and have spoken with many of my close writer friends and we all have agreed on the same thing.

When we are so focused on writing and expect to get some in and find that we can't because of spontaneous events such as the needs of our children (even if they are regularly scheduled like making dinner) or maybe other things that are out of our control, it is that the beast of impatience, frustration and quick to anger, erupts.

I know this happens to me for sure. I feel awful when I do that because my family needs me and I let my writing take precedence over them at times and it causes problems--especially when I put my writing first. It is so hard to put it aside since I love it so much and yes, I guess I am addicted to it!

The Lord counsels all things in moderation. And we can't serve two gods. Ahem. (I'm hiding my head here!) I have pondered the importance of controlling my worldly passions (writing, writing and writing!) and the only thing I can come up with is to put a tight leash on the times when I write.

I've made it a point to keep to writing when my kids are at school and or when they are all in bed. I have to force myself to resist the temptation go past a decent hour as well. All this is done through the Lord's help of prayer and scripture reading.

I hope that I don't fall into that trap of writing over family or over the important things again (the Lord, church, friends). I don't want it to overwhelm my life and have me forget what life is really about!

I'd like to leave you with this neat verse of scripture that isn't exactly related to the topic above, but oh so fitworthy of writing--if you keep in mind your critiquing group as both receiver and contributor.

It is found in Mormon 9: 31

"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection, neither my father, because of his imperfection, neither them who have written before him; but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been."

4 comments:

  1. Great post. Raking leaves is what got in my way today. I've heard several authors say something to the extent that writing is just like any other job.

    And I know it's hard to say that when you're still trying to get your foot in the door, but it's the truth. Lots of people are as passionate about what they do as we are about writing. It's great to love your job, but as you say, we can't let it totally consume our lives and take us away from other important things. Dang!

    BTW – what do you consider a “decent hour”? (Afraid I’m in trouble here.)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth!

    Ah, decent hour? Well, I set myself not to go past 11:30pm,anything later makes for a very dizzy lizzie! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Liz. I sometimes feel the same way about my son. He always picks the times when I'm creating at my best to disrupt me. But he always comes first, even if my muse complains about it.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!