Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Who are you?



I just had a good friend of mine pass away. I was so shocked to hear the news this morning at Sacrament meeting. (I write my MMW posts every Sunday). I was devastated to hear that and did my best to keep my wits about me as I led the music during sacrament meeting.

She was a part of our ward choir and a faithful member of our ward. Long before, she was a primary teacher and my children loved her. It was only last Sunday I gave her a ride home after choir and she commented on how she missed being my kids's primary teacher and how fun it would be to be in the primary again.

She had made a great impression upon me. She embodied strength, faith, courage. Those were her qualities that I will always treasure.

Bearing this in mind, I prayed on how I could turn this into a valuable lesson. What kind of impact do you want to have on others? What about as a writer? What kind of writer are you now? What kind of stories are you weaving?

How will your readers remember you? Fulfilling? Thoughtful? Inspiring? Will they put your book down after finishing it and say, "Wow, she is an awesome writer! I can't wait for her other book to come out," while she gazes at her bookshelf lined with your books?

We have a wonderful opportunity and privilege as writers to make an impression with people everywhere. We are leaders in chaos. We are the light in the darkness. We are the voice of the Lord as we create our stories with His help.

I know without a doubt that if we live the way God desires, He will bless us beyond measure and surely we will touch the lives of many through the written word. Our qualities will leave an impression.

That's how we will be remembered.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful post, Lizzie. This is exactly the kind of writer I want to be. More than that, it's exactly the kind of person I want to be.
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your friend-it's a good thing we have the gospel so that we can Know its not the end.

    "How will your readers remember you? Fulfilling? Thoughtful? Inspiring? Will they put your book down after finishing it and say, "Wow, she is an awesome writer! I can't wait for her other book to come out," while she gazes at her bookshelf lined with your books?"

    I will strive for all of that-except for the she and her parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about your friend! Thanks for the inspirational post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about your friend and the pain of your loss. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your thoughtful responses!
    LOL, David...
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post. How terrible about your friend. These things come as such a shock. How weird that you had just been visiting with her. I'm glad you had one more moment in time with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Touching post. Thanks for the reminder about the positive impact we can make through our writing.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!