Monday, January 11, 2010

Shifting Balances




Lately I've been feeling as if something was wrong. Very wrong. I have been feeling stifled in just about everything I've been doing from cleaning my house to reading my scriptures to writing. Why is this?

I know that my priorities have all changed since Thanksgiving. Holidays, kids not going to school and vacation did that to me! I no longer read scriptures first thing after sending the kids off to school. I stopped practicing the music I lead for church as much as I should. I stopped keeping up with my household chores and was available for my kids only when they needed me. I wasn't happy! I spent most of my time doing things like editing, blogging, updating my FB, visiting everyone's blogs.

I have decided to press the 'reset' button and go back to the way I handled things before chaos snuck into my life.

I feel refreshed and even surprised that I had allowed my priorities to shift around to where the most important of things were at the bottom. For me this is the way it works best: Heavenly Father, Family, ME (writing, drawing, singing, dancing--whatever my hobbies are). I feel fulfilled and happy when I do it in this order.

How do you keep balance in your life and stick to it?

6 comments:

  1. I'm just barely finding my balance and I haven't gotten it all figured out yet. I've lived a life of chaos and I'm glad to find a haven.

    Glad you know how to center your life. Wishing you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I find myself feeling unbalanced, I always realize it's because my priorities are in the wrong place. Just like you mentioned, I find I'm not doing the basic things first, like scripture study, prayer, and taking care of my children. Without fail, when I put those things first, my life falls neatly into order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband would be so pleased if I could figure out how to find balance and maintain it. I wish I had the clarity you do. It helps when you know what works best for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! It is a constant thing I need to work at, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, this seems to be such a popular topic right now. And the problem is that it exists in February and March and April...

    I finally admitted that I'll never get caught up. There will always be one more blog to read. One more person I should respond to on Facebook. One more person I should be following on Twitter.

    And I'll never get them all. It's not that I've stopped trying. It's that I've stopped caring so much.

    And now I have time for my own writing, my family and hey, making dinner! Which is always a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elana, I agree with you whole-heartedly on this. I feel that family is much more important because--stepping back and viewing the big picture, family is what we'll end up with.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!