Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thoughtful Thursdays

This is the day I will post thought-provoking things. Things that weigh heavily on me or that I feel needs addressing in some way.



In Honor of little Daxton.

Born July 25, 2006, Daxton Matthew Eberle was called back home to our Heavenly Father on March 23, 2008. He was a wonderful, fun loving little soul that loved to dance, loved to eat crackers, and loved his daddy.

It was a tragic accident. One in which happens quite common. More common than what we'd like to think. They are the ones that happen when we back up in the driveway in our vehicles and miss seeing the precious little soul darting behind us.

OC Register reports 116 children die every year this way. Here are a few tips I found on the Christensen Law Firm's site:

Primary Children’s Medical Center offers the following tips to help prevent a driveway accident:

• Teach your children not to play around vehicles, even when they are parked in the driveway or garage.
• If you have backup cameras or sensor devices in your vehicle, use them when you back out of your driveway.
• Check your driveway and around your vehicle before starting the ignition.
• When someone is leaving your driveway, make sure your children are supervised.
• Reduce your blind spots by adjusting your side mirrors.

I didn't know who Daxton was. But when I first read the anonymous article in the news paper about a child being run over and then a week later read Daxton's obituary, there was NO doubt in my heart that it was the very same.

I prayed. I cried. I fasted. This March 23 will be his 2nd in Heaven.

It is my plea and hope that we keep our eyes open and spread the awareness for our precious little ones at play. Even for those who have no kids, because your neighbors might.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this reminder. No one ever wants to find themselves in this position. Hope you receive some comfort by spreading the word about caution and awareness to those around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sad, sad story. Poor little guy. This same thing happened to a kid in our community when I was in high school. So very tragic. Thanks for this reminder. We really must slow down and take the time to know where our little ones are, always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Laura. ((hugs)) :D

    Thank you Roxy, I hope it does help.

    That is so sad, Carol... It almost happened to us. I was nursing my baby on the front porch with family visiting so many years ago and my hubby hopped into the truck and started backing out without making sure our other kids were safe.

    Just as he was reversing, my 2 year old boy decided to dart around to him from behind the truck. My 5 year old girl ran after him stop him and I screamed for him to stop.

    He stopped. But it wasn't because he heard me. His windows were rolled up and with his music thumping. He just had a feeling. I would've been 2 babies short this day if he hadn't listened to that prompting...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!