Monday, February 22, 2010

Whoops! Blogfest: Breaktime Woes

Laurel Garver is hosting a Whoops! Blogfest at Laurel's Leaves! Make sure you read the entries for good laughing fun.

A-hem... This is something I'm writing right here, right now. Please forgive my first draft mistakes and have fun!!



I didn't know how much longer I could stare at my computer. Take one more call. Even the seat, as cushiony as it was, burned my backside.

"That's it, I'm taking a break!" I turned to Cheryl expectantly only to find her holding her hand up while she spoke into her headset. "No, I don't want to wait for you!"

But it was too late. The router patched me through to my next call. I frowned and slumped in my seat. I read off the computer screen as the caller made his order. I was eternally grateful to click my phone off and slam my headset down.

"Break time." I turned and found Cheryl's cubicle empty. I'll wait for you in the bathroom. Maybe we'll run into John this time? Her note read.

John. Like the hottest guy on my shift. I whirled around and darted through the narrow space that separated the cubicles from the operators and closed my eyes from the head rush.

"I shouldn't have gotten up so quick." A roll of dizzying nothingness hit me and I staggered to the restrooms. I pushed through the door and went straight to the mirrors and plucked at a gray hair. I heard someone clear her throat and sigh.

"Whoa, Cheryl, are you feeling okay? Your voice sounds really scratchy. Never mind. I'm so glad, I've waited to take a break since seven, can you believe that! My butt is on fire and I couldn't find a comfortable position any more. Did you see John? I wonder if we'll catch him out in the break room, what do you think?"

Then I thought of the caller I had just hung up with. "Can you believe how dumb men are? I mean, really, why would anyone want to buy that shoe finder. A shoe finder? I swear, the things As Seen on TV comes up with these days." I let out a loud laugh and wondered why she didn't laugh with me. I shrugged as I found another strand of gray.

"And not to mention the guy who ordered cream for balding heads, you know? The one where they can color their hair at the same time?" I swore as I plucked out three more hairs. "Why can't they invent something like that for women? I have more white hair than I have numbers in my bra!"

The toilet flushed.

"It's about time. I was wondering what you ate this morning--cuz man!" I waved the air and whooped, though I knew she couldn't see me, "you made it stink in here, girl!" I threw my head back and began to laugh. The laugh she found very annoying.

Footsteps.

"Dang, girl--," I spun around, tears smearing my cheap mascara from too much laughing. I stared in startled confusion at the tall figure with the seagreen eyes, 5 o'clock shadow and a square jaw. "John?" I choked out, stumbling back to the sink behind me.

"Why, Summer, I didn't know you had a thing for the men's restrooms."

8 comments:

  1. HeeHee! Oh, I can feel her embarrassment!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So embarrassing. I had the same thing happen to me in reverse. I really liked the dialogue and humor. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh dear! Definitely a Whoops! I feel almost worse for John!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL i'm totally snickering. you had me going for a while, then i felt it coming and i was like "awww shooot." LOL poor thing. hehehehhe That was quite enjoyable to read :D thanks for making me smirk tonight lol i'll pass this link along. very cool

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how many times I've mistakenly entered the Men's room in a strange place. Doing it in a place of familiarity is so much more embarassing.

    This was great. I just loved it.

    ...........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I kind of feel worse for the guy too, especially with the stink comment she makes. Great double whoops there!

    Thanks for joining in the blogfest and making it fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your comments! It happened to me too, at a Wal Mart out of state. It was embarrassing. I was caught AFTER I stepped out by an employee. I didn't realize until I turned around and read the sign. AAA!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!