Saturday, March 13, 2010

Speak out Saturdays

Judging Others

(photo by Joy Erickson)


My first job. I was excited and scared. I started with the mind to do my best and shine. As I stepped through the doors and tied on my apron, several of the coworkers warned me about the night shift-supervisor.


"She's a monster," a girl said as she formed claws in front of her, baring her teeth.


She wasn't working that night. I was holding my breath with anticipation and wondering how awful she was. One thing was for sure, I was determined to find out for myself.


The next evening, I met her. A petite gal with a pleasant face. A pleasant enough voice. And her personality?


Well . . .



She was very nice. I really liked her.



"Well?" the same girl asked me later on, glancing over her shoulder. "She's a witch, isn't she?"


It turned out that the supervisor followed rules and didn't allow anyone to break them. As simple as that. I got along well with her. In fact, so well, that the others thought she was playing favorites. They had her pegged and didn't care to see past their judgment of her. I was so grateful that I had not listened to them, giving this gal a chance.


Judging others. Listening to rumors. Choices.



This brings to mind something that is circuiting right now. There are words. Words tossed into the writers' world about a certain publisher. The one that doesn't let writers have friends? The one that wants to sever them from the Mormon community? The one that is out to get us?


I am clearly aware of the facts of the particular situation that led up to these speculations. For those who it directly affected, my heart truly goes out to them. For those who are resentful and freely share their feelings about the publisher in a wrongful manner, I would think that it is degrading to everyone involved.



This can apply to anything in our lives:
Moroni 10:4:
And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would aask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not btrue; and if ye shall ask with a csincere heart, with dreal intent, having efaith in Christ, he will fmanifest the gtruth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.


I know how it looks. How it must feel and how it seems. But I really feel that before we say words, strong words that destroy, we ought to prayerfully consider those things.



Valor Publishing Group is powerful opportunity for the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints to bridge themselves into the national market. It is a wonderful opportunity for those who do not belong to the church to submit clean manuscripts.


If these allegations are weighing you down regarding your decision of whether to submit to them or not, pray.
Heavenly Father never leads us astray.


Gossip hurts. Gossip is cancer. Gossip kills.



Follower Friday Guest is Amber Lynae!

10 comments:

  1. I thought I picked up a little something beneath the surface a few weeks ago.
    There are many different ways to do the right thing, huh? I hope Valor succeeds. Their efforts and desires seem admirable from my perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you for standing up and saying things that are hard.

    I am publishing with Valor and they are absolutely amazing. They may not be the right fit for everyone, but the opportunities, encouragement, and friendship they give their authors is unlike anything else out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I believe so, too.

    Karen: ;)

    Kimberly, thank you. Even now I bite my fingernail with anticipation. I am not one for stirring the bees nest, but I don't want to go down quietly either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. Now I'm curious. You can tell I'm totally out of the loop on this one. Whatever it was I hope everything works out for everyone concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize that there were rumors hurting people. But I know words can hurt. I think when it comes to finding a publisher you go with what works for your goals. And for every person that is different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elizabeth! Me too, thanks!

    Amber (enjoying the cold, slush-rain?) bleh... :P I agree with you--I wouldn't jump in without knowing if a publisher was a right fit for me and my books. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wise advice in many life situations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Laura! :D ((hugs))

    Jenni--luv u 2!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!