Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Too Me Tuesdays

Stay-at-home MoM





I grew up wanting to be a mom who stayed home with her kids. Just like my mom. I loved it when she was there as I came home from school. It was always a comfort to hear her washing dishes, making dinner, cleaning house.

There was a huge gap of emptiness when both of my parents left us alone. Well, it was fun at first. The whole house to ourselves while we ravaged it like savages? Then it would get too quiet.

I married believing I would stay home with my babies. No. To my disbelief, I didn't. I went back to work after my first baby was 3 months old. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Most of my paycheck went to child care and eventually, we felt it was best for me to stay home on kid later.






I have to admit that we don't have nice boats, four-wheelers, snowmobiles, fancy cars, fancy furniture. We have none of those things. We have what we need. We don't starve. We are happy. It is a struggle sometime, but the price is so little compared to what it does for our family!!

I'm so happy being home with my kids. I love their little quirks, their little smiles and habits. I've never once regretted being home with them.

What are your views on mothers staying home with their kids?

4 comments:

  1. Well, I went back to work after my second child was born. I've worked since I was 15 (and no, I won't tell you my age. :P ) Anyway, let's just say I worked physically challenging jobs most of my life. My hands are giving out.
    I've had two surgeries on my left hand and have arthritis in the joint of my left thumb.
    I'm not going off on a tangent, I promise. I have not worked for 3 years. My last job is what injured me and prior to that I didn't work for 3, maybe 4 years. I have two teenagers now and my daughter is comfortable telling me most everything. Mainly, I feel, because I have been home these past 6 or 7 years and have been here to ask her about her day. Because I made it such a routine, its habit for her to tell me just about anything. So I feel that my being home and her knowing I would always be there after school has made a huge impact on her life. So, is it weird to say I'm sorta happy for being somewhat out of commission (work-wise)? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if it feels right for you it's wonderful. Some women just can't do it though-perhaps they feel cut off from the world. It really depends on one's motivations. I know parents who stay at home and love it. I also know parents who have thriving careers and still love it. Luckily I work from home anyway, so I guess when I have kids, I'll get the best of both worlds :) Each to their own I say! My real name is Jessica, by the way :) Great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so grateful to be able to be a SAHM. Sometimes I'm a Work-At-Home-Mom, but that's okay too, because I get to be home with my kids. I always wanted to, but didn't always think it would be possible. I am very blessed, and don't take it for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caledonia, wow, that's a wonderful thing to hear. I love it when I connect with my kids, it's so comforting to hear that she comes to you about her day. You're a wonderful mom!

    Hello Jessica! I'm glad to know your real name! Thank you... I know what you mean, about feeling in touch with the world by working. There are so many times I feel so isolated being at home. I guess I need to make the best of it and join circles or classes or something. Thanks for your thoughts!

    Hi Kim! That's wonderful, I'm glad you can be home with your 2 kidlets--they are so beautiful!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!