Sunday, April 18, 2010

Janice Kapp Perry

Whoa . . .

I really hope a lot of you were able to go to the activity we had in Brigham City this past Tuesday.

Janice Kapp Perry
was here. Her talk was totally inspiring. Really. She said that she had reached out for things that made her grow. If you are comfortable where you are, you are not growing. That's what got her into composing all that music!

She wrote music just for fun, until one day, someone asked her to write music for a roadshow. And here she is now!

I honestly felt as if she was talking directly to me about my writing. I've done lots of out-of-my-comfort-zone type writerly things these past few years and I have grown tons.

Don't be afraid to try something new.

What things have you tried that you were really afraid of, but found that you are amazing at? (C'mon, you have to admit that you are!)





Did you guess Suzette Saxton as my Saturday Follower Friday Guest?

(photos found here)

4 comments:

  1. I truly don't know that I'm super good at anything. I guess maybe horse-riding. I feel like I'm a natural at that but it's not something that I had to try that I was scared of. I've been riding since I was in the womb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have heard that talk. There is so much truth in the idea that we grow the most when we are uncomfortable with what we are doing (not spiritually uncomfortable).

    This last year I have really pushed myself and I can't believe the progress both as a writer and as a wife/mother/daughter/friend/Lisa that I have made.

    Thanks for the recap. BTW are you from B.C.? My Dad grew up there and I had cousins in Mantua.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like that was an inspiring talk. I feel like I'm always pushing myself to try new things. Sometimes they work, sometimes not.

    The latest is writing short articals for my crit group's newsletter. That really different.

    .....dhole

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a wonderful talk. It's always good to get outside the comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!