Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sabbath Sounds

Humility


photo by Del Parson


It was about 2 months ago now that someone in my ward gave a talk. It really hit me what he had said, and I will quote him as best as I can remember, "Humility is not measured by the pains we endure from our trials, but it is measured by our relationship to our Heavenly Father."

I was really stunned by this, but it only made perfect sense. Why didn't I see this before?

All this time I thought, as I've learned my entire life, that being humble meant having no pride as to worldly things (materialistic stuff, social standing, etc.).

dictionary.com defines it as
"the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc."

These are its lowliness, meekness, submissiveness.

I feel as if my eyes have been opened. When I think of humility in reference to the Lord, I will no longer think of the woes of my life, but the strength of relation between me and Heavenly Father.

PS--If you guessed Michelle Teacress for Friday, you're right!

4 comments:

  1. I've never thought of humility like that either. I can see how it would be created in that manner, though. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura! Interesting angle, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever read "Pain is Inevitable, Misery is Optional"? I would highly recommend it. Hyrum W. Smith talks about humility similarly. He (through an experience with a friend)defines humility as :a realization of our total dependence on God". If we are depending on Him, then we truly are humble. Very cool post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nisa! Wow, thank you! I didn't know about that book. I'd have to add it to my library!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!