Saturday, May 29, 2010

Say Hello to my Honored Guest: Laura Diamond!

I'm trying out a new bloggie thing and it's having guests over! Woohoo! I just love friends. I'm such a novice at this and I'm sure I'll find my place soon enough, so it'll be a bit unorganized at first!

Let me introduce you to Laura Diamond, an amazing woman of amazing feat--and she has room for writing!

__________________________________________________

Bio: Laura’s a psychiatrist, blogger, traveler, and writer of urban fantasy and YA paranormal adventure with aspirations of becoming a published author. Her current work in progress is about a teen who discovers her missing father is a shapeshifter…and so is she.


*******

Hi gang! Firstly, I’d like to thank Elizabeth for giving me the opportunity to guest blog for all y’all today. PLUS, she’s asked me to talk about one of my favorite quotes. How fun is that?

‘Kay, here’s the quote: “I do not know why I thought I could write a novel, but I hope to eventually get to the bottom of it.”

So, my writerly journey began almost two years ago. On a whim (I’m not kidding), I pulled out an old “story idea” I’d written in a spiral bound notebook while in college (years and years ago!). After about nine months of developing and revising what turned into a literary monster, I figured I was ready to start querying agents (Haha!). QueryTracker was one of the first—and truly the best—sites I found. New to forums, I fumbled around, got to know the other members, and did my best to offer critiques and accept constructive feedback.

Along the way, I found the above quote on the signature line of Nostrabuttus, one of the forum’s more humorous members. (I totally dig the whole dry humor thing, for real.) It really spoke volumes to me. It made me pause. I had to stop and consider what I really was doing all this work for. I mean, really, I have a background in science, medicine, and psychiatry. Sure, I love to read. But what pushed me into thinking I could actually write a novel AND have it get anywhere?

The TRUTH?

I have no idea.

Anti-climactic, ain’t it? But it’s the absolute, for real, cross my heart, hold my hand on a Bible while reciting an oath, truth.

The problem is, now that I’ve started, I can’t seem to stop. Okay, so I take a break here and there—preparing for the oral boards sucked a month of my life away, dang it!—and sometimes I get so fed up that I don’t touch a WIP for weeks. But then something happens.

A quiet whisper. A nagging buzz. A tingle of a sneeze.

You know, those almost imperceptible, you miss it if you blink sort of things, that if you catch it, the booby trap is triggered and it’s only a matter of time before you open that Word document again and start typing. Yup.

I suppose in a roundabout way, it doesn’t necessarily matter anymore why I started this journey because it’s taken on its own momentum. With my personality, I have to see it out to the end, whatever that may be. Even better, I’m having way too much fun to quit! Blogging, beta reading, cheering on my writerly friends who are at all stages of the game, AND detailing fantasies and stories molded from my own brain—man, oh man, who wouldn’t want this?

I suppose I’m bordering on a random babbling now, but I would like to point out something I hadn’t considered until going through this very process of guest blogging. Look, if you had asked me about blogging two years ago, I wouldn’t even know what you meant. If you wanted my opinion on what separated “good” writing from “bad,” you’d likely get a shrug and a “I don’t know.”

Why do I bring this up? Because the amount I’ve learned over the past two years astonishes me. And, really, why does anybody pursue a new adventure? To have a good time, to build relationships, and to learn.

Check, check, and check.

Thanks, Elizabeth, for hosting me. This has really been a lot of fun!!!!

________________

Aww, thank you, Laura! I am honored to have you over, too! Isn't she one of the funnest people you want to get to know? Hurry over to her blog and tell her how much you enjoyed meeting her! :)

PS--if you are interested in becoming my honored guest here at my blog, just click here to find out how! I hope to hear from you soon! ;)

13 comments:

  1. Great guest spot and insight. I agree that the writing and blogging really takes on its own momentum and I've learned SO much as well! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Query Girl--I so agree with you! It's fantabulous, isn't it? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    Lovely guest post! I loved reading how Laura started on her writing journey - an old story in a spiral bound notebook from years ago that lit a literary fire in her. I loved her first tentative steps to polishing her art and writing skills and how now she's come across as confident and more assured of her talent and her book!

    Wonderful, thank you for sharing your journey Laura and thank your Elizabeth for a great guest to your blog.

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura and Elizabeth, you both are just awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific post. I don't really know why I write either - but I do, always have, always will. Most of it's just for me, but since I started looking into the possibility of publishing, I can't believe how much I've learned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura sounds awesome--and we seem to think the same way. Thanks, ladies!

    I'm off to check and make sure I follow her blog. :o) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great guest blog. Laura is awesome anyway, so it's nice to learn a bit more. :)

    Plus I found my way to your blog via her too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea, Elizabeth, having guests over. I can totally relate to your excitement at joining the writing world, Laura. It was pretty much the same for me. I'm in WAY too deep now...lol...I couldn't ever imagine not being here amongst such awesome people :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the guest post idea and this one didn't disappoint. I even have a new blog to follow.

    Elizabeth, you should stop by my blog ;)

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Laura and Elisabeth, (waves)
    What a great interview. Laura sounds just like me at the 2-year point. "Let's just do it for the heck of it and see what happens." It's so important to keep it fun, because when I feel like I'm working too hard, the writing isn't that good either. Not that it isn't hard work, but... I hope you know what I mean. It has to come from the soul.
    I'm having another followers contest/blogfest to celebrate Year Four of this current novel, which I am bound and determined to be done with in March. God willing.
    Have a great week, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An interesting discussion is definitely worth comment.

    There's no doubt that that you should publish more about this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but typically folks don't talk
    about these topics. To the next! Best wishes!
    !

    my blog ... healthy diet plans

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon everyday.
    It will always be helpful to read content from other writers and use a little
    something from other sites.

    my web site; subway surfers cheats android

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!