Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Day for Fathers . . . and single Mothers

Since next Sunday is the Bad Boy Blogfest, I thought I'd post early for this special day (Father's Day). I know, I know . . . but the day is so special, I want a post on its own! ;)

Okay, here it goes.

I heard this story by an amazing person once and it has never left my mind. I thought it would be nice to share this with you. It has touched my life, and even though I am not a daddy, I believe this would apply to mommies too. ;)


"A father should never consciously disappoint his wife or children. In 1989 there was a terrible earthquake in Armenia that killed over 30,000 people in four minutes. A distraught father went in frantic search of his son. He reached his son’s school only to find that it had been reduced to a pile of rubble. But he was driven by his promise to his son, “No matter what, I’ll always be there for you!” He visualized the corner where his son’s classroom would be, rushed there, and started to dig through the debris, brick by brick.

Others came on the scene—the fire chief, then the police—warning him of fires and explosions, and urging him to leave the search to the emergency crews. But he tenaciously carried on digging. Night came and went, and then, in the 38th hour of digging, he thought he heard his son’s voice. “Armand!” he called out. Then he heard, “Dad!?! It’s me, Dad! I told the other kids not to worry. I told ’em that if you were alive, you’d save me and when you saved me, they’d be saved. …

“There are 14 of us left out of 33. … When the building collapsed, it made a wedge, like a triangle, and it saved us.”

“Come on out, boy!”

“No, Dad! Let the other kids out first, ’cause I know you’ll get me! No matter what, I know you’ll be there for me!”"

~ James E. Faust

This is such a heartfelt, teary thing for me. I hope it has brightened your day, as well! Here's to the dads of the world. Enjoy the pictures I found on bing Images.

















Happy Father's Day!

21 comments:

  1. Awwww - lovely touching story!!

    Dads are great!! I miss mine every second - he was the best - then again I'm biased.
    :-)

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer! It's so nice to see you here! I'm glad you enjoyed this. I'm sorry that you miss yours...I'm sure he still looks after you. ;)

    Take care and enjoy your Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a story!
    Hooray for all the Dads out there that work hard to be good fathers. It's far easier to do a bad job than a good one.
    Happy Father's day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot Lizzie. I saw the title of your blog and thought, CRAP! I thought Father's Day was NEXT Sunday. And then I read your blog and realized that it IS next Sunday. I even had to look it up online to make sure. You just about gave me a heart attack, girl. Whew! So glad I still have a week.

    Touching story, by the way. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, girl! Ya got me in tears!

    My dad was MIA but as children my older brother was my "father". He protected and taught me. I even planned to have him give me away at my wedding. So when people talk about their fathers I think of my brother.

    Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a tremendous story. I too will never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lydia, I know what you mean. If only all men had the desire to be good fathers, (and mothers good ones, too) imagine the Utopia we'd be living in? ;)

    ROFL, Christine!! I'm so so so sorry I put you through that! I really thought it was today, too. *Whew* I'm glad that it gave you a head start on that! :D

    Suzie, ((hugs)). I know what you mean. I looked up to my brother too. He was the kinda man I wanted to marry when I was all growed up--he was really a bright influence in my life. ;)

    Kristina, thank you! I'm so happy you enjoyed it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful story! And I love the dad shots. Thanks for the reminder to do a little scanning this week so I can do a little tribute the the daddy of my childings...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww, that made me teary! Love the pictures too. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's such a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing it!

    What a wonderful way to think about fathers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, now I'm crying. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your blog! I'm a new author and have enjoyed this new experience. I find that it's the most difficult and most rewarding. I'm also a graphic designer and love having that creative outlet as well.
    Thanks for your post! I will be back for more updates. :-)

    Melissa Nielsen
    frommysomewhatseriousmind.blogspot.com
    www.printhis.biz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hart, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you! :)

    Sangu, it made me teary, too. I just love it when fathers aren't afraid to show their love for their wee ones... :D

    Lisa, thank you! Don't you just love that story?

    ((Hugs)), Erin. I love good daddies, too. <3

    Hi, Melissa! Welcome to my blog. Thank you for dropping by, I know that one day I'll be a published author. For me, I find it intimidating to be one because it will take me out of my comfort zone and little shelter with my kids while my hubby works. *Sigh. But I know my succeeding my goal with enrich the lives of my children and my Hubby will be so very proud, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your blog !!
    do not miss my goods , they are very beautiful !!
    Fashion watches
    Discount watches
    Antique pocket watches
    Engraved pocket watches

    ReplyDelete
  15. The thought of NOT being there for my kids will throw me into a panic attack.

    I miss my dad. I wish my kids had the chance to get to know him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely story! Great pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That story was great - so heartwarming! And I love the dad photos. There's something special about a dad spending loving time with his child, it's something I love to see.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you're a great author. I will remember to bookmark your blog and may come back at some point. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!

    Here is my page: 24option review

    ReplyDelete
  19. Post writing is also a excitement, if you be acquainted with after that you can write otherwise it
    is complex to write.

    Here is my webpage - Avis Binoa

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is definately a lot to find out about this topic.
    I like all the points you have made.

    Here is my page; http://thaynes.org/moodle/User/view.php?id=34925&course=1

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!