Monday, June 21, 2010

The Movie Dirty Dozen Blogfest

Alex is hosting this coolawesome blogfest!

He asks:
What movies have changed your life? What movies have changed you as a person? What movies are your ultimate enjoyment from start to finish? If you could only round up twelve, what movies would be your Dirty Dozen?

Well, the following 5 movies changed my life because I was so very young. They are what led me into the love I have for fantasy. I love writing and drawing all things fantastical. There is romance in every one of these shows, not overbearingly so, but enough to create a lure to keep watching--at least that's the way it is for me. That's how I write my novels. Lots of stuff going on, and a bit of romance woven throughout--not overbearingly so, but enough to make my readers swoon with reminiscing sweetness. ;)













The Princess Bride would fall under the above shows as well. It's a sweet, light-hearted romance that always makes me laugh!

The first time I saw Timeline in the theatres, I was shocked. I thought of how many medieval movies I'd seen and none ever made me fear for the people in there like this one had! I have the movie in my shelf! ;)

Ah, everyone's most beloved or hated movie, Avatar. The first time I saw this was the wordless trailer with a movie I had rented. I don't have programming for my television, so I had no idea of the hype behind it at the time. But, wow, I fell in love with the concept of fantasy beings that looked like elves and the romance behind it was what really hooked me! :D


The Final Inquiry
. This one is so breath-stealing for me. The idea of Julius Caesar wanting restitution and sending off one of his men to seek the meaning of the one dark night when Christ died and how that man felt the true love of God touch his heart? Whoa... I LOVE conversion stories!!! Oh, and not to mention the beautiful romance in this show. *Sigh*


One Night with the King
is also one of my biblical faves. I just love the sweetness between the king and Esther. I actually ran to my bible and read the entire book of Esther, checking for accuracy. It's pretty accurate but for the king's name (Xerxes) and I don't think the Persians were involved--I can't really remember, I read this long ago. ;)


I found Nanny McPhee very enchanting and sweet. It had me laughing out loud in the theatres! I showed it to my kidlets and they love it too. The love story behind it makes me feel warm and fuzzy. ;)


Sybil.
Wow. I saw this so long, long ago it horrified me. I know it was produced in the 70s, I was still captivated. Now that I am a mother, I don't know if I can handle watching this movie again. It brakes my heart how any parent can hurt an innocent, trusting child.

It has made an impression on me to the point that certain scenes that Sybil went through haunted me. I thought, "Did I remember that scene correctly? Did the mom really tie her up the way she did? Did the mom . . . Did the mom . . .?"

*Shuddering* I know, you probably think I'm a masochist.

One thing, if anything on this movie: Knowing how, being a small child watching something like that through naive little eyes, would I make the connection in a better way compared to then now that I'm an adult--it was horrifying then, will it be just as horrifying now?

Okay, enough! I can't wait to read everyone else's thoughts on their favorite movies! Alex, thank you for holding this wonderful blogfest! ;)

22 comments:

  1. An excellent choice, it's amazing how different people love different types of films.

    Have a lovely day.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh *sob* I must have seen the last unicorn when I was 4.. the song still echoes in my head

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great movies here!! Sybil still scares the crap out of me! LOL!

    Princess Bride is also one of my faves - I remember it so well when I first saw it because I didn't expect a comedy and romance and fantasy all in the same film! Lovely!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen most of the ones on your list! My love of fantasy started when I was a little older I think - neither of my parents liked it at all so I didn't see much when I was young - but I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good mix of fantasy movies. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes total sense that we all have 'childhood shapers' that are favorites, though I am feeling distinctly old at the moment... great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Last Unicorn! Willow! Labyrinth! Princess Bride!

    FANTASTIC STUFF!!! Love them all. The Last Unicorn ALWAYS made me cry!

    Have you read the Princess Bride book, too? It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a great list here. A lot I haven't seen. I love the videos. I'll have to watch One Night with the King. Sounds good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG I totally forgot Timeline! I LOVE that story (although the book is much better). This exercise is too hard to narrow down to 12. Princess Bride is great too.

    It's fun reading all these lists...gives me ideas of movies I need to watch or rewatch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Timeline was great!

    I love Princess Bride and Willow. Nanny McPhee was wonderful. There are too many good ones out there to pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice list. I forgot about so many you listed here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, yeah, love those flicks!!! (I have the soundtrack of The Last Unicorn and The Labyrinth!) The Dark Crystal was amazing!!! Oh, and I loved The Neverending Story too!!! I literally grew up on these movies!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. trailers - cool. amazing how many movies i haven't heard of. more to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this blogfest! Fun getting a peek at everyone's faves. I definitely get a theme from yours. I remember the last unicorn! I was babysitting these adorable girl twins when it came out and they watched it on HBO that summer over and over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen the Princess Bride in a number of blogs today. We just saw that as a amily earlier this month. Great cult classic.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for the Dark Crystal! I loved that movie! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing; I have actually never seen any of these!! I am missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cool list! We definitely had the same taste in movies as kids. :) The other ancient/medieval movies you list also sound interesting. I may have to check some of them out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice picks on your list. Timeline was a good one-- I love time travel films.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi everyone! Thank you for dropping by. This is a fun blogfest. I think it's a good thing to have at our fingertips so when we want a great review, all we have to do is click on each other's blogs under this blogfest!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't believe I missed your movies. You have some fun one's. I thought Nanny McPhee was so clever. I love Emma Thompson. She is one of my fav actresses. And she wrote the story too. There is a scene in Sense and Sensibility near the end, where Edward comes to tell her character (Elinor Dashwood) that he loves her - it seriously made me bawl out loud the first time I saw it - so embarrassing. Anyway rambling. Love Emma Thompson.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I feel a sudden need to go watch The Princess Bride right now.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!