Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Book Review: The Stone Traveler by Kathi Oram Peterson, LDS author

Look at this cover. It's gorgeous. A promise of adventure in the South American jungle.

Does it deliver?

Yes, it does.

Sixteen-year-old Tag is tired. Tired of the way things are. The best way to break away is to be how he likes to be. Though he is fair with a spread of many freckles, he loves his hair black. Along with the spiked dog collar.

After a particular unsavory incident at school, his cousin rats him out and now he is facing his consequence: spending the entire summer with old Grandpa who chats with his wife's ghost.

Perfect.


Well, not exactly. He decides to sneak away when everyone's asleep. That's when he stumbles across the stone. Unable to resist the temptation to take it, he is whisked headlong into the past. Far into the past. When scripture heroes (and villains) roamed the southern part of North America.

This was a fun page-turner for me. I empathized with Tag, though he hated everyone and everything. A hidden darkness haunts him and he doesn't realize it until the purpose of his journey into the past unfolds. I feel as if Tag lost a bit of his voice when he sailed into time, but maybe it is because he is surrounded with others who don't speak slang? I cried when Tag finally finds peace in his heart. And forgiveness.

This is a beautiful, heartwarming story. It left me with much to think about.


Kathi Oram Peterson has created a wonderful, rich world that will have you neglecting your homework!

Add this wonderful read to your library!






The trailer gave me chills!


The Stone Traveler - Blog Tour Contest!
When: Weekdays in September
Important rule: Leave a comment on "every" site on the tour.

Monday through Friday commenter names will be collected from the blog tour. On Saturday, a name will be drawn to win a prize that includes a very cuddly toy jaguar; a stone necklace, and chocolates with the flavor of South America--real cacao and chili. The winner will be announced on the following Monday.



The GRAND prize for The Stone Traveler blog tour will be a (drumroll, please) Kindle.

The cutoff to be eligible is midnight on September 30. The winner will be announced October 4th. If you find the tour midway through and want to participate, you can still go back and comment on every blog simply by going to www.kathiswritingnook.com. Starting in September, the sidebar will list each stop on the tour as they are posted, making it very easy to click to any of the sites and leave a comment. AND even if you've already won one of the weekly drawings, your name will still go in the jar for the Kindle.



Good luck and have fun! ;)

36 comments:

  1. This sounds like such an interesting book!

    I hope I can get my hands on it.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good book to add to the list! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a great book! Time travel always fascinates me. I love the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely review thank you! I like the character's name! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover really is gorgeous. It's definitely eye-catching!

    Nice review; I love it when novels make you think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome review! The book seems so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the review. I also loved the trailer! The music was perfect for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Christina - I really like the music on that trailer. Only two more stops and the journey's through! Thanks for the review Elizabeth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! The trailer was awesome! I really liked the book. I can't wait to see what she writes next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ditto thanks for and love your review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey guys! Thank you and thanks for stopping by! Good luck on your drawings for the Kindle. Exciting stuff, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're right. The cover is gorgeous and fits with the story well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elizabeth, your blog is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carol, I really enjoyed Kathi's book. She's a great writer. <3

    Peggy, thank you, you're so sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elizabeth, thanks for sharing the trailer. Some of those wide shots were breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the cover That is why hte book came out later than Kathi thought it would!! Great Review!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Krista, it was a pleasure! I can't get enough of it!

    Meagan--it was so worth it, wasn't it? It's gorgeous! :) Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the humor in your review! The beginning paragraphs made me laugh. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the review. I have the book on order. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Catia, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed my review! The book is even better. :D

    Flysongbyrd, Yippee! I'm so happy! You'll enjoy it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. It really is a beautiful cover. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed that review, especially your summary of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this review! Thank you! Although, I will have to be careful before letting my children read this only after all homework is comopleted. =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. First of all, I'm sad that I've never come across your blog until now. I have to say, your background is just so YOU. And secondly, very nice review. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really liked your review. I'm always happy for a happy ending:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I swung over from Kathi's Nook. Thrilled I did, you have a lovely blog and review.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks, Elizabeth. This sounds a like interesting book. Would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tracy, you're welcome. :)

    Ban, thank you! :)

    Lori, really! :D

    Jen, hi! I'm glad you've made it over here, welcome! ;)

    Brendajean, me too!

    Glynis, thank you! :)

    Rachna, you'll enjoy it. ;)

    Valerie, hi! Yes, he is. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have a knack for making a review fun! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Taffy, thank you! :)

    M.R. Bunderson--I'm so glad you enjoyed it, thank you for the compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I agree the cover is gorgeous This will be one I'll have to read The Stone Traveler! Thanks for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fantastic review - great way of describing the story!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love a conflicted, flawed hero I can get behind. Reminds me a bit of the heroine in Julie Wright's My Not So Fairy-Tale Life. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!