Sunday, November 21, 2010

Field of Roses


A dear friend of mine, Lizzie (is it coincidence that she shares the same name as mine? I'll never tell!) shared with me a very inspiring allagory. It made my heart smile. Thank you, Lizzie. *HUGS*

I'm going to personalize the following as it was told:


All you see are the thorns. Strong. Hooked. Piercing. Bit by bit, you work your way through the gnarled nests. The roses, full and red and strong, are what keep you going. Still, the work is tedious. Each shaping takes its toll on your tender fingers bleeding. And yet, you know how your field of roses might look when you're done. Glorious and grand and inspiring. The thought drives you on. And on you go. Each thorn at a time. At last, you gladly--but lovingly--set your gloves, sheers, apron and hat away. You tremble. You are weak from hard labor. You lift your weary face and . . .



All the thorns, all the razor cuts, all the sweat is forgotten.

All you see is a beautiful field of roses.


These are the exact words Lizzie had said to me:

"...Once you're done and you can look back on what you've spent so long working at all you'll see is a beautiful field of roses. And it's really true. All the time and stress will soften and become less significant when you see the result."

Thank you, Lizzie!!!




This post of for you, for those who are finding themselves drowning in their sea of thorns.

You're not alone.



photos found in Photobucket.com

10 comments:

  1. I think I just got through the thorniest patch in my field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a particularly thorny day. Thanks for the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second great inspiration post I found day. It's been a frustrating week so I appreciate the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing!

    The vital thing is to see the roses through the thorns in the first place. How often do we give up because all we see are the thorns? Let's all look for the roses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad this thought touched you as it did me. You illustrated the analogy beautifully with your words.

    It's meant a lot to me for many years. Thanks should go back to Theresia Schubert, who shared it with me in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful, thanks for sharing!

    ~That Rebel, Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  7. mshatch--*HUGS* I'm happy you're through. I bet your field is just gorgeous! <3

    Lisa, you've got a surprise in your e-mail box. I hope you like it!!!

    Susan, I'm so happy! I would LOVE to know what was the first. I'd love to read it! ;)

    Dominic, how true is that? I need to keep things in perspective at all times and not become overwhelmed. Thank you!!!

    Elizabeth!!! Thank you so much for the inspiring thought. I'm so glad that Theresia was inspired to tell you as well!

    Olivia, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm drowning in a see of rejection letters right now, so reading this was just perfect timing. It made me smile. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great analogy. So appropriate for so many circumstances. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer, you're so welcome! I'm so glad that I timed it just right. <3

    Cathy, so true! You're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!