Saturday, November 20, 2010

My Guest, Kristie Cook

Meet My Character – the Lykora!

After about the seventh draft of what was once my first book and now has become both Promise and Purpose, I decided I needed an animal. But it couldn’t be just any animal. It needed to be the epitome of protection, loyalty and fierceness. So, as we writers do, I went on the hunt on the Internet. I didn’t find exactly what I was looking for.

No one particular animal embodied these three characteristics in the absolute way I needed them to. Then I realized, hey, I’m writing a fantasy…guess what that means? I can make something up and get away with it! So I did.

I took the two animals that came closest to exhibiting the qualities I needed (as well as the added bonus that they’re both beautiful creatures) – the wolf and the tiger – and combined them. Then I added wings, because, one, I think it should be able to fly, and two, it’s a gift from the angels, so they gave it wings.

Then I needed to name it. This took even more research, but what I decided in the end combined the two animals again. Lykos, lykin, lyka, etc., are variations of the word “wolf” in several languages, mostly Latin based. And tora means tiger in Japanese. The result:

Lykora


The Lykora doesn’t really make a physical appearance in either of these first two books. It’s described in Promise, though, as a beautiful creature small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, extremely loyal and when it feels its master or loved ones are in danger, it will grow as big as it needs to be and will fight to the death. I think it will actually become a character with a real role in a future book – maybe book three or four.

For the longest time, I’d always wanted to know what this strange creature would actually look like. No one I knew with any artistic talent was able to put the image together...some didn’t even want to try! Then I won a contest at The Alliterative Allomorph and my prize was the above drawing by our own Elizabeth! I bubbled over with excitement to finally be able to see a real picture of my Lykora. And when I saw Elizabeth’s sketch… Wow! Beautiful! Isn’t she amazingly talented?

Thank you, Elizabeth, for a beautiful rendition of my Lykora. As well as for letting me take over your blog today. I bow to your artistic talent…and know who to come to next time. Bwahaha!

...................

Thank you, Kristie, for the nice compliments and for sharing your wonderful writerly sanctum with us! It was way fun getting to know you.


Go visit her blog and get to know her better! :)



7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful drawing! So pure and noble.
    Great talent Elizabeth :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow!!!! What a lovely creature - the Lykora - loyal and wolf-like, tiger-ish with wings and just so precious!!! Awwww!!!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful animal here, Kristie Cook and Elizabeth Mueller!! What a talent - the drawing is just amazing!!!!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, beautiful artwork. you're so talented.

    Kristie - book 4? are you serious?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't Elizabeth incredibly talented!!! I'm incredibly envious! LOL Thank you, Elizabeth!!! I love her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you did the research to come up with the concept--but then to be able to draw it as well? Amazing! I want to grow up to be just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am impressed! Neat creature and great drawing. I have something similar in my current wip, an imp, but needless to see he isn't anywhere near as pretty as Lykora :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great creature, Kristie! It's great that you made it up yourself. Who knows, perhaps one day it'll have its own Wikipedia page and other authors will be clamoring to write their own stories about the Lycora!

    Elizabeth, great drawing!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!