Friday, February 18, 2011

Book Review: Bumpy Landings by Don J Carey



What a delightful read!

LDS returned missionary Jordan MacDonald has a secret. A secret he refuses to share with his mother, who has life figured out for him. It is one that he has promised his father he'd fulfill no matter the cost.


But when it becomes apparent that he can hide it no longer, life unravels and he is thrust into the cold of resentment.

Should he be true to his mother, or his girlfriend, or himself? This is a story about a young man's struggles to find the answers to his personal riddle of integrity.

 I fell in love with the storyline and understand, with all of my heart, Jordan's struggles. Life as a young person is never easy, especially when everyone is shouting out how you should live it.

I especially love when Jordan starts to realize that his life is his own, and becomes true to the most important person: himself. For, how can he be true to anyone else if not for him?

This story certainly wrenched me from my mundane tasks, and whisked me into the lush green of Hawaii's vista.

Don J Carey is masterful at bringing people, places and things to life. There wasn't a place where it felt unreal. The dialogue was natural, the characters sincere, the dilemmas unfurled with genuine believability! He has a knack with folding time without my noticing.

Hey, Carey, do you have the recipes for pani popo or malasadas on your website? I would sure love to know how to make them!

UPDATE! click here for recipes! (Thanks, Don!)



Donald is a graduate of Kahuku High School where, when he wasn't in the band room, he could be found in the library with his nose in a book.  He was awarded the David O. McKay scholarship to attend BYU--Hawaii, where he met his lovely wife, Kara. His day job involves writing computer programs, which is almost the same as fiction but with a lot more semicolons.


Watch Bumpy Landings' book trailer!



I recommend this book!

20 comments:

  1. Ooh, great review: thorough, thoughtful and concise - I bet the author is stoked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review and the info about this book!! Sounds like a thoroughly life-enhancing read from a young guy's pov too!!! Excellent!!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved you Book review. very very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Elizabeth! I'm following all my followers back to their blogs. I'm from In the Shade of the Cherry Tree and I'm also a Crusader. It's great to meet you. See you around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book sounds interesting. I like stories when a teen has to break away from the roles people impose on him or her. I'm going to look this one up on Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, Elizabeth! Bumpy Landings got high marks on my blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! Hi fellow Crusader, I'm a follower now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi buddy Crusader, and it's nice to meet you! I adore your blog design--it's gorgeous. Thanks for following and visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed the review. Great video.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Elizabeth! Thanks for the comment on my blog and this book rec!

    See you around the Crusade!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this sounds like a beautiful story. I've added it to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great read. Thanks for dropping by my blog and I'm happy to be a Crusading with you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a good book! Dropped by from Rachael's crusade list to say hello! Looks to be a lot of fun already! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great read! And I love your blog, very pretty. I'm another Crusader, just stopping in to say hi☺

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for being a stop on the book tour! I'm very glad you enjoyed the story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there fellow crusader. I'm checking out everyone's blogs. I like yours. Very stylish! I'll try to drop by again soon. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am in need of a "next book"-thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for this lovely book review, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, guys! Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comments! This book has me thinking on it quite often. I really love the moral of the story, I can't stop thinking of how important it is to be honest with myself!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!