Monday, February 21, 2011

Book Review: Dearly Departed by Tristi Pinkston

Book two in the Secret Sister Mystery series.


From the back of the cover:

Ida Mae Babbit has done her community service and is a reformed woman--no more law-breaking for her. But when Arlett's granddaughter Eden discovers a mystery in a fancy nursing home, Ida Mae--with the perfect excuse of a broken wrist and a broken ankle--checks herself into the place. After all, it is for the greater good. Soon she's buzzing around in her motorized wheelchair, questioning the residents and swiping files form the office. She's bound and determined to get to the bottom of this case. But can she solve the mystery before she becomes the next victim?

I'm not big on mysteries, but this book had me turning the pages as quickly as I could.

The characters are very well developed and believable. They had me laughing all the way through. Pinkston did an excellent job as director of her book, casting every character as she kept an enjoyable pace.

Ida Mae is this crotchety old woman who speaks her mind, but with a twist of humor. She is so likable that I wish she was a real person. Eden is a sweet young lady who has the strong desire to help others and goes beyond herself to do so. There is never a dull a moment.

There is a part that pulled me out of the story. Ida Mae meets with Dr. Greene out on the beautiful patio. It is washed with warm sunshine, surrounded by lush greenery. Ida Mae wondered why they didn't meet in the office instead. The scene closes as she leaves the doctor's office. This book is so well-written, it had me wondering if maybe it was just me?

I really enjoyed how the author salted words outside my vocabulary range such as chartreuse, and octogenarian. The word fractious even had Ida Mae's doctor scrambling to squeeze her into his already booked day--and he doesn't know what it means. I'm not alone.

Just when I thought I had things figured out in this mystery, Tristi Pinkston throws in an unexpected twist that made the read all the more exciting.

Visit Tristi Pinkston on her website: tristipinkston.com, and her blog at Tristi Pinkston, LDS Author.

Dearly Departed is a fun, witty, intelligent read!


Add this to your reads!

DeseretBook.com

20 comments:

  1. Sounds fun, thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great review. I'm eager to see where this goes.

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really good mystery series!!! Thanks for the review and info!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um ... the office thing would be a content edit mistake. Sorry about that. (Bad author ... bad author. :)

    I'm glad you enjoyed the book - your opinion means a lot to me so I was particularly looking forward to this review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey crusader! I haven't heard of this series before! Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sounds like this series has great characters which I love. I look forward to reading this book.
    MaryKay Lee
    Parkay24@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tristi is hilarious. I'm excited to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Al! Right back at ya! ;)

    Vivien, me too! She's such a great author! :)

    Jennifer, it really is, Tristi is gifted, I enjoy her books. <3

    Trisi, you're awesome, I really love your writing, it's as great as you are. Thanks for dropping by! *hugs*

    Samantha--hail to you as well! It's been a wild ride, but I haven't lost an eye yet! I hope you like this series, it's fun. ;)

    MaryKay, I'm glad you liked the review! Thanks for dropping by.

    Shari, yes, she is, isn't she? You'll love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fellow crusader and new follower. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for posting this. It sounds like an interesting read...

    *hello from a fellow crusader*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopping over as part of the crusade.
    Your review makes me want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Savannah, fellow crusader! What fun journeys it has been--one that has brought closer many blogging writers! I'm happy you enjoyed the review. :)

    J.L., welcome and hello! I hope you like the book if you decide to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Elizabeth! Popping over from the crusade to say "hello!" This series sounds like a lot of fun ~ I'll have to check it out. And may I just say - you've got beautiful hair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Elizabeth! Nice review! I will have to add to my TBR list.

    Fellow crusader - just stopping by to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice review. Hope I'll read the book

    ReplyDelete
  16. I forgot to say I was a Walnut Springs follower :)

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great I'm so excited! Great review.

    Stephanie
    thegirlonfire27 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  19. :-) LOL, I actually like chartreuse, and I don't even mind puce, though it's a colour the exact shade of which is much debated and I'm sure I wouldn't like all the variants! I definitely picked up these words from reading historical fiction, as they're not much in use anymore.

    Like you I don't mind a few curly words. And I certainly don't mind a fractious old lady or two in my mysteries.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!