Friday, February 11, 2011

Fantastic Friday Writers!

phtobucket.com

Welcome! First of all, I need to apologize for my absence. It had completely escaped my mind, with my being sick for the entire month previous. But I'm better now!

I'd like to touch on last time's post. Balance.

I've been lousy with my balance. In fact, I was so lost I threw everything aside and had to stay away from writing for an entire month. That brings to focus the subheading of my blog. I just realized that I don't let you guys watch me juggle because I don't really blog about my family. *Sigh* I plan to change that.

credit


But it was just 2 weeks ago, I struck a gold mine that works entirely for me--it might you, but it's a grueling thing.

I grabbed lined paper and wrote down my happenings from the time a awake down to the time I go to bed:



6:00  wake teengirl up for school (I know a lot of kids get up on their own, but we enjoy each other's
         company. *GRIN*)

6:30   eat breakfast

7:00  wake elementary school kiddles

8:00 send them off to the bus stop/study scriptures, shower, journal, read...

9:00 wake preschooler


.... It goes on until 11:30pm, but I don't want to bore you guys!! ;)

credit


Talk about hourly details! But it's working out for me so far like a CHARM!

Okay, moving on. Today's topic is the beginning of the first chapter. Well, even though I've been writing for over 10 years and have been studying the craft for over 3 years, I still feel like a fumbling fool. I rely on my writing partner and pals for this here.

I know that we need to start off with a catchy hook--a sentence that draws in the reader. Another hook should be at the end of your chapter. Along with that, a different kind of hook could be the tension, conflict or something that draws the interest of your reader's curiosity. Your book should be just as promising as your first chapter. As witty. As adventurous. As--everything!

I'm thinking of starting a Vlog that airs the last Friday of the month (for now). I will read the first page of your book, and invite my bloggie readers to comment their critiques on it. I will personally critique the entire first chapter as a thank you for your bravery. Is this something you'd like?

Don't forget to visit my fellow Friday Writers: Deirdra Eden Coppel, Alex J. Cavanaugh, Anastasia V. Pergakis, and J.D. Brown!



You might like:



Next post's angle for February 25th: Our Research Method!


Today is the last day for my contest, it's not too late. You have until midnight MST. Winner announced soon!

7 comments:

  1. Sorry you've been sick! It's nice though, that you are managing to find balance. I should probably do some assessment of how I spend my time, too--I feel like I've gotten really inefficient at my job because I'd so much rather pop in and out of the blogosphere...

    Good luck with the Vlog! Right now the idea of sharing something that way makes me really nervous, but it may be that it grows on me (or that I accept that it would be good for me anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh life is fun but it does get in the way!! LOL!!!

    You are so lovely to offer such a great opportunity! And vlogging about it too - wow!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth! I am reading Hooked by Les Edgerton. It's excellent so far. It's all about the beginning. I think first chapter reviews are a great way to celebrate the topic of hooks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're feeling better!!! A vlog?! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still working on making better first lines.
    Be curious to see who wins the guitar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like the idea of the Vlog.
    It's nice to have a daily routine. I see you could even fit reading in between waking kids. I hope you don't fall asleep.
    Nahno ∗ McLein

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hart, I know what you mean about blogging--I really enjoy it. I love hearing what my friends are up to and creating fun posts as well. I think I might be the guinea pig for my vlog thing. Hmmm, I better find a GOOD first page to show off! lol... ;)

    Jennifer, yes, life is full of things to explore. I feel the only way I can give things a fair chance is doing my insane scheduling. *sigh*

    Shari, thanks for sharing that info with me! I'll have to get my hands on that book soon! <3

    Colene, thank you! We'll see how that goes! :/

    Alex, I am too. I didn't feel qualified to write about 1st chapters because I've only been going by my gut feeling for the most part.

    Nahno, lol! Tell me about it. Taking naps are fatal for me--it's hard to pull awake! :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!