Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Book Review: Kite: a Novel in Earth Obrit , by Bill Shears

KITE


Mason Dash is your ordinary man who enjoys being his own boss. He works high over Earth's atmosphere in a satellite-like machine that cleans up floating debris. All is yawns and boxers. That is, until . . . unexpected chaos unfolds when a computer program becomes self-aware and hungers for power. Dash's virtual 'doll', Sheila, stows away during one of his shifts. Sheila is the only 'person' who can communicate with this software tyrant, but there are other dangers afoot!

Science fiction has such a different feel! The possibilities are expansive. I had fun reading, in vivid detail, the twisted mind of a tiny module living as software inside Kite. Rich detail explains the world it lives in, always moving the story forward. If computer programs wanted to take over the world, this would be the right book for them.

The story is well-written and well thought out. There is swearing here and there, and a 'joining' of programs similar to mating for those who are wondering about content. I had the feeling that the story didn't want to end--you'd have to read to find out yourself!

Visit Bill Shears to find out more about his work!

Order your copy of KITE!

9 comments:

  1. Great review, I feel I should read it, especially with me looking at sci-fi at the moment.
    Nahno ∗ McLein

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review. Thanks for sharing.

    BTW, I'm hosting Roland D Yeomans today, who self-published his book THE BEAR WITH TWO SHADOWS and is sharing his journey with us as well as a four book giveaway!

    www.nas-dean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh what an intriguing premise! I do like the computer stuff taking over and having to be stopped!!!!

    Thanks for the review and the info!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love science fiction and your review got me interested in this particular book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great book - love the story line :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, such an original storyline! Love this premise. Sounds really exciting! Thanks for the review, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth: Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed KiTE, and also that your commenters like the idea of it. What a great compliment about that story not wanting to end. It's true. It had a life of its own. I just jotted it down. And there may yet be a sequel someday. Meanwhile, though it's set in a different time (earlier), this short story is in the same "fictional universe."

    http://www.scribd.com/doc/34842119/The-Beekeeper

    Please connect with BillShears16 on FB or Twitter, commenter-folk, and refer to Elizabeth's blog to stay in touch. Something pretty big is in the offing. Still under wraps, but news soon. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nahno, that's good! I found it very interesting. :)

    Nas Dean, wow, sounds like a party over there! Thanks for the heads up!

    Jennifer, thank you! Have a great weekend.

    Nutshell, you're welcome! It's a very intriguing read. :)

    Jemi, thank you. :D

    Carolina, you're welcome! <3

    Bill, Hi! Thank you for dropping by. :) Oooh, I can't hear what your surprise is! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a story right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!