Wednesday, March 30, 2011

♥.•*¨ Book Review: Star Scout Rising, First Trail by Gary Darby ¨*•.♥

It's been years since I've read anything science fiction, and only a few books before that, too. But after reading Star Scout Rising, I realize that I've been missing out.

Star Scout Del has a secret that could destroy him, but he keeps it well hidden as he trains as a peaceful protector with his team of 5. Fate hurls them into the hands of danger and the horrifying beauty of other worlds. Del faces the perils that test his Star Scout creed. Will he remain faithful to his beliefs?

Darby's world building is vivid, fantastic and rich; I was drawn into the thick of it. He can really spin gripping scenes; I cheated, and skipped ahead to see if my favorite characters survived! He is masterful at body language—a small description that reveals a great deal without weighing it down.

The story starts out with a lot of detailed flashbacks and inner thoughts. Sometimes the dialogue between two characters felt like narrative lecture. Because of these factors, I was either lost or sidetracked until I picked up on the thread of the story. I'm fairly new to this genre, so it's probably just me. Grammatical discrepancies drew me out of the story here and there, but didn't ruin the fun.

The ending has a pleasant surprise! Darby is a wonderful story weaver. I enjoyed the wild ride!

I most definitely will pay more attention to the science fiction genre because of Gary Darby. Thank you, Gary.

Visit Author Gary Darby!


Order a copy of StarScout Rising: First Trail!

9 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! I love a great wild ride. What an awesome book review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the review! Sounds like an intriguing book despite the flashbacks and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I'd love to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shari, your welcome. :D

    Nisa, thank you! :)

    Carol, it really was. :D

    Rebecca, you would enjoy it, too! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you from the A-Z Challenge, it sounds like it’s going to be so much fun and I can’t wait to get started!! I’m now following your blog on GFC and I hope you have a chance to check out my blog and maybe follow me back!!
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. From your review, this looks like a book that I'll be interested in. Thank you for not giving away too many details while still getting across your point that this book is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All success to Gary. I love sci-fi, so will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elizabeth, thank you so much for taking time to read my first novel and for posting such an encouraging review on your blog - deeply, deeply appreciated. As a new author, I am learning so much from these reviews - particularly from published authors such as yourself. I've appreciated them all as it gives me a deeper insight into what readers like and dislike - and which I will certainly keep in mind as I put the finishing touches to volume two.

    Again, many thanks, and best wishes in your writing endeavors as well.

    Sincerely,

    Gary Darby

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!