Wednesday, April 20, 2011

♥.•*¨Q is for . . .

Query Letters!

Okay, I'm not one for really posting on this because I've only submitted one novel 3 different times and got rejected 3 different times! Oy... But here is my query letter:



-----------------


Dear Super Agent Girl,

Stormy Winter Sky believes she is an ordinary teen until her first kiss with Alex Stormhold. DARKSPELL is a young adult paranormal romance, complete at 96,409 words.

From the moment Alex meets Winter, he cannot hide who he is—the key to her hidden past. Alex unlocks a world Winter thought impossible, a place of dark secrets and magic, where she discovers a disturbing secret of her own. .Alex risks his life and her love to keep Winter safe from the evil that seeks her out, for he is the only one who can protect her from its control.


Here are my accomplishments in the writing. I placed second in the Peach Days short story contest. International Poets Society published a few of my poems in 1996 and 2008. Published several poems and a few short stories in the Riverside High School Literary Magazine, Borderlines in 1992.

Thank you for taking the time to consider representing my work. I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Mueller
------------
*Ducking* Okay, go ahead and throw the tomatoes, I need some for my salad anyway!
What do you think?

*updated:  This is the Query Letter that won my Publisher!



10 comments:

  1. You didn't really tell me what the story's about. What world? What secret? Who's after her? I think you're holding too much back in an effort to make it interesting, but someone who doesn't have the story to back up those sorts of general claims would also use a similar no-specifics approach. The only way to show you have the goods is to put it on paper. Reveal her secret and the nature of her enemies, if they are interesting enough people will want to know more.

    hope that helps,
    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not the best person to advise, as I've never written a query letter. However, I agree with Mooderino - what is the secret? What effect does it have on her? Who is after her? Though a query letter is not a synposis, you do want to give the agent enough of the story to tempt them into taking you on.

    I'm off to hide now!

    http://elliegarratt.blogspot.com/2011/04/quotes-that-inspire-to-z-q.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the other comments. Your brief summary is ideal as a blurb for the back cover, but you need to tempt an agent with more detail.
    I've also been asked to include in a query letter what inspired me to write my story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love!!! It's short, snappy and succint! I'd try and place Darkspell in a potential readership market too though, eg. say what novel it's most likely to be compared to.

    :-)Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a few more specifics about the story would make it even stronger. But it's a very interesting concept! :) Old Kitty has some good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good mystery interlaced with clues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the above - the overview is intriguing, but perhaps could reveal a little more, to be more tempting?
    Good luck with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not qualified to give advice on Query letters having never sent one. I think Old Kitty's advice is good though. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great read. As others have noted, I would add more detail, the inspiration and target audience. Enjoy your salad. ;-)

    I’m A-Z Blogging on Langley Writes about Writing and Langley’s Rich and Random Life

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your query. You might consider this revision. Wishing you great success with your novel.

    Dear Super Agent Girl,

    I am seeking your representation for my novel DARKSPELL, a young adult paranormal romance, complete at 96,409 words.

    Stormy Winter Sky believes she is an ordinary teen until her first kiss with Alex Stormhold.

    Unable to hide Winter’s hidden past from her, Alex unlocks a world Winter thought impossible, a place of dark unknowns and magic. It is a world where evil seeks her out, and Alex is the only one who can protect her from its control. He must risk everything, his life and her love for him to keep her safe.

    I placed second in the Peach Days short story contest. International Poets Society published my poems in 1996 and 2008. Several of my poems and a few of my short stories were published in the Riverside High School Literary Magazine, Borderlines in 1992.

    Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

    Sincerely,
    Elizabeth Mueller

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!