Thursday, April 28, 2011

♥.•*¨X is for . . .


caption
Exercize for writers! The physical kind. . .

Is there such a thing? Well, we are humans, right? Er, we'd like to think so...

For 14 years I've been exercising my hands. It all started out when I worked at a trampoline factory. The supervisor taught us these to help strengthen our hands and prevent carpal tunnel.


1. Hold your arms out in front of you (horizontally) with palms up. Then, rotate them until your palms face down. Then up again. Down. About 10 times.


2. Spread your hands in front of you, like you're getting ready to push someone. Squeeze them shut. Open. Shut. 10 times.


3.  Next, rotate your hands at your wrists into an outward circle. Then inward. 10 times each.


4. Hold your hands in a 'prayer' position below your chin, and slowly bend them to the left so that your left hand is pressed by your right hand into a 90 degree angle. Hold for 10 seconds. Do this for the other hand so that your right hand is being pressed into a 90 degree angle.


source

I can type and draw for hours without cramps or aches!

What exercises do you do for your writing? You can mention the kind that strengthens your grammar, too! ;)

15 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I always get a neck ache after a few hours of writing.
    Edge of Your Seat Romance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment!

    I use stress balls to exercise the muscles in my forearms and wrists since those are my weak spots. And I must say, they've been rather effective.

    Cheers!

    ♥Ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Except the last exercise, my yoga master taught me the first three. Sometimes I forget to do them, thanks for the reminder. They say, even clapping for few minutes is a good exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a squinchy thing that I squeeze when I'm on the phone. I don't use it prevent carpal tunnel, I use it because my forearms were getting flabby. It does help with typing though. (does one 'type' on a laptop or is it 'lapping'?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I like these exercises!! thank you!!!! I don't really do any writerly exercises but I always remind myself to have mini breaks every 20 minutes or so to stretch! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raquel-oh, yes, I don't like those. I roll my head around. Or I lean it on one shoulder, pressing it lower with the same-side hand until my neck feels the stretch. I do the same to the other side. :D

    Ash, I'm impressed! I've never used stress balls.

    Rachna, that sounds good! You're welcome.

    Em, a squinchy thing? I'd love to use one, too! Lol, I'm not sure if it's lapping! ;)

    Jennifer, you're welcome. That's a good thing to do, get up and stretch in between.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess that's why I go to the gym a couple times a week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alex, good to hear that! I don' know if I'd like going, I feel self-conscious. I love my weights and yoga here at home. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for these exercises, I'm going to try them. Love the graphics too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for stopping by The House on the Corner ~ I'm following back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are some great exercise tips thanks for the ideas. I like the look of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna, hi! Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment and following. :D

    Josh, thank you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How about exercises for your spelling? Or is the misspelled first word of the blog supposed to be ironic?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cool. Thanks. Copying these to post beside my desk.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!