Wednesday, May 4, 2011

♥.•*¨Interview, Author S.B. Niccum¨*•.♥


I've had the honor of catching Silvina, author of Veiled, for an interesting interview. I fell in love with her debut novel, and am thrilled to learn more about her and her books!

Bloggie palz, introducing S.B. Niccum, author of Veiled!




Tell us about Veiled.

Veiled is a Supernatural Fiction about life before life.  I call it “The journey of a Soul” because it’s the first of a trilogy that covers the journey of Tess, an un-embodied spirit who is preparing for her mortal life. 
Tess and her clan have been assigned to a planet called Earth.  They are trained by twelve foot tall Cherubs with feathered wings and ten feet tall half-human, half-lion Seraphs.  The spirits are very gifted and together they qualify to become some of Heaven’s most powerful Angels.  But even Angels falter, and Tess’ insecurities about the Veil and its forgetting effects, leads her to wonder about her choice.  Will she be able to accomplish her life’s mission to keep the leader of the Fallen Angels at bay during mortality, and will she meet her soul mate in life?
Veiled is a fun YA story that will entertain anyone who liked “The Chronicles of Narnia” and “The Ghost Whisperer”.  It’s clean and uplifting, filled with adventure, love stories and some deeper thoughts about the choices we make.

What inspired the story?

The scriptures did.  As I studied one morning, I asked myself what it was like, to be there, about to step through the Veil, knowing that the minute we stepped through we would lose all our memories.  I wondered if we were scared at all or even sad to know that we might not remember our best friends.  The excitement mixed up with the anxiety gave birth to the two main characters, and right away I wrote the ending to the book.  Then I made my way forward.

Was there a time when you felt like giving up? Why didn’t you?

Not really.  I’ve always felt pretty certain that this book would someday be in print.  I didn’t know how soon.  I figured it would take years to get it published, but I saw it happening.  …Call it a premonition if you will! 

How did you deal with writers block?

I didn’t really experience writers block.  I read an interview done on Roald Dahl where he said that if you quit writing at a good part in the story you’ll never have writers block.  I kept that in mind.  Also I wrote same time every day.  And I thought about the plot in between, so when I sat down to write I had plenty of ideas.  If I ever came up completely dry, I would go back and edit.  That usually got me un-stuck.

Who is your sounding board?

My head has been my main sounding board. Sunday school was the other, my husband, mom and brothers were also easy targets.  Later, when I saw that this book had a future, I started picking some of my friend’s heads.

How did you handle rewrites/edits to perfect your book?

 I’m probably weird, but I actually didn’t mind editing.  I saw it as a chance to make my work better.  My biggest fear has been making a fool of myself and every time I edited I felt empowered by the process of making my work better.  When someone else proof-read my book I got all exited and couldn’t wait until I saw what they found; every comma and every hyphen meant my work was better than it was before.    

How did you feel when you were picked up by your current publisher? What did you do to celebrate?
I always celebrate with food!  My husband and I went out to dinner and we had fun speculating about the millions I would make!  (In jest of course!)

What are you working on next?

I’m working on the sequel to Veiled.  Living Soul is about Tess’ life on Earth and how she deals with her gift of discernment as a mortal and how she fulfills her life’s mission.  Like any mortal, Tess has forgotten all about Heaven and her friends and a tragedy lands Tess in foster care.  With all the normal insecurities of a regular teenager and some very unsettling paranormal phenomena; Tess takes on the responsibility of caring for her foster brother, Dorian, and hopes that the cutest guy in school (Alex Preston) notices her.
I’m also jotting down some ideas for the third book “Endless”.  This book will cover Tess’s afterlife as a spirit again who is striving to gain her immortality in Paradise.  This last book I’m really looking forward to writing, I have a lot of ideas floating in my head that I can’t wait to put down on paper.  Some of the topics that will be featured in “Endless” will touch on redemption of the soul, overcoming addictions and perceived self imposed limits to what I like to call ‘evolution of the soul’.  

Tell us something about yourself that would surprise us.

I didn’t speak English until I was fourteen.  Not a lick.  In fact in Argentina, I got terrible grades in English.  My reasoning was “when will I use it?” When I started High School in Utah (West High) I confused a lot of people by my appearance.  The Latino crowd didn’t take me in because they thought I was gringa.  The American crowd thought I was an exchange student from Sweden…. You get the picture.  It took me two years to learn English and I had to do all my homework by looking up every single word and write the translation on the margins.  Then I would re-read it and try to understand!  It was a very hard and lonely time for me, but some good things came from it. 
I turned to books for companionship, and that friendship has been the most lasting of all.

Do you have any pearls of wisdom for aspiring authors?

Write something every day, a sentence or a page, it doesn’t matter.  If you do something for 21 consecutive days it will become at habit, so make it your habit to work every day and feel good about those few words.  Over time they add up, and before you know it you’ll have more than you need!


Thank you for letting me interview you, Silvina! I had so much fun learning more about you and your wonderful books!


See what some readers are saying about Veiled!

***** 
This review is from: Veiled (Paperback)
What if ...... what if we existed before this earth life? What if we knew our friends and family before coming here? What if we chose our trials ahead of time, knowing it would be for our best? Sylvia Niccum asked these questions and then proceeded to answer them in a way that keeps you turning the pages into the night, wanting to know how it all turns out. While this is a work of fantasy, are there perhaps some grains of truth within this story as well? I think there are. Read it yourself and see what you think.

 *****
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Veiled (Paperback)
This is a terrific read! The author paints pictures that bring the characters and setting to life and the story is so gripping I couldn't put it down!

This story takes place in an environment that no one has ever written about before but we all know exists. Fascinating - she makes you think in ways you've never thought before and consider things that are mind boggling and new, but at the same time you think, "Oh, that makes perfect sense." Incredibly thought-provoking! It seems like I'm always chatting about this with my husband and friends. It was one of those books that you can't wait to finish but at the same time you don't want it to end. I laughed, I cried, I loved it!

If anyone is looking for a book for a book club, this is the book! You'll talk about it for days!

*****
This review is from: Veiled (Paperback)
S.B. Niccum presents not just a great story, but something to contemplate while you are reading and long after. This book left me thinking about what I know and what I may have forgotten. There is love, suspense, laughter, and tears; what more could a girl want? Can't wait for the next one!

Enjoy the trailer, made by the author herself!









18 comments:

  1. Great Interview and the book sounds very interesting. Thank you for awarding me for the A-Z challenge. I am a new follower and you have an amazing blog.Keep it Elizabeth!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA,HA,HA! The trailer was hilarious! And Veiled sounds like a hit. That was a great interview. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The xtranormal trailer is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun book.

    There's an award for you over at my blog. Come pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! I like her thoughts on never giving up, and "Veiled" sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw one of my friends post an xtranormal video on Facebook, I was all over it! It was the cheapest way to make a book trailer, and as it turns out, the most effective! http://www.sbniccum.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview. Veiled sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Veiled sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i actually tried to win Veiled on a blog a while back. needless to say, i was disappointed when i didn't! sounds great.

    just wanted to let you know that i did post the sketch! you can see it here!

    thanks again...so much!
    jeannie
    the character therapist

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an exceptional idea--writing about the soul before birth. Best wishes to the author!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've started reading Veiled already and it is exceptional - very different. I'm loving it. Great interview too on the background to writing it. Congratulations to both!
    Sue Roebuck

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous interview and I cannot wait to start the book!
    Swati

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey-- stop by my blog to grab your award. (=

    http://jostorm.blogspot.com/2011/05/awards-and-seven-random-facts-about-jo.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Murugi, thank you and you're very welcome! :)

    Em, thank you! Lol

    Chris, I'm sure you've made Silvina happy!

    Kate--how thoughtful, thank you, I'll grab it asap! *Hugs*

    Laura, thank you. :D

    SBN, I'll have to look into it!

    Jo, thank you! :)

    Sharon, thank you! You're welcome... ;)

    Jeannie, thank you! I love the post you put there! I excited to see in on your website once it's up and running! :D

    Clara, it is a very interesting read, I enjoyed the fresh plotline.

    Sue, thank you! :)

    Swati, yippee!!! You'll have to let me know what you think of it!

    Jo, thank you! I'm heading over there right now! :)

    YA Paranormal Romance Darkspell coming soon!

    ♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥
    www.authorelizabethmueller.com
    facebook
    Twitter
    Goodreads

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a very interesting story premise and great reviews on Amazon. Good luck with the book sales--I'm rooting for your millions.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooh, she is soooo gorgeous! Loved the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a warm interview Elizabeth. Loved it. Silvina sounds a beautiful person. I'll be interested in buying her book for sure.

    Elizabeth just noticed the galloping horse cursor thingy. Gorgeous.

    Denise<3

    Join the Romantic Friday Writers group. First challenge - Dire Moment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!!! You guys are the best commenters EVER! I want to thank Elizabeth, again and again, for letting me be on her blog! And I want to thank everyone for their warm wishes and great feedback! I had fun writing Veiled, and I'm having fun writing the sequel, Living Soul, so please keep a look out for that too!
    If you liked Veiled, please feel free to leave me a review on Amazon and to tell your friends! And I want to congratulate Elizabeth once more on her debut novel "Darkspell"
    www.sbniccum.com

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!