Thursday, June 16, 2011

♥.•*¨Maggie: Character Interview ¨*•.♥





Please don't forget to sign up for the MC Blogfest and win Jeannie Campbell's Writer's Guide to Creating Rich Backstories!











Interview with Maggie Cooper from the They Walk Trilogy by Amy Lunderman.

Hi, Maggie! Thanks for this chance to interview you—I won’t take long since the dead seem to have a knack for finding us. I’ll be quick, promise.

 Hi, Elizabeth. Thank you for having me!


Tell us a bit about yourself. What are your weaknesses? Your strengths?

I used to like what every other girl my age does, you know. With friends, a boyfriend, an annoying twin brother, and a crush on a guy that drove me crazy. I used to enjoy going shopping, painting my nails, laying out in the sun, and even going for an evening run. Now though, these things are all considered weaknesses, especially since you can't walk outside without one of the dead trying to get to you. My only strength is my will to live and to keep pushing forward no matter the cost. 



Describe your hometown. Do you have a favorite thinking spot?

The only thing that drives me crazy about Maine in the summer, used to be the black flies, but now it's the dead. Lately I can't really find a safe place to think, since I can't go anywhere alone without being attacked. I find myself lost in my own thoughts all the time though, no matter where I am.


Were there any leading events to the zombie’s appearances that you can remember?

In the weeks leading up to the outbreak I remember hearing in the news about a cold vaccine being administered without going through trials. It was even going to be given out at the same day and time. I never really thought anything about it, not until much later after everything went down. The night of Austin's party, I do remember it being oddly quiet out though. No birds, dogs, and even the traffic was quiet, that is until the accident.


In what way have the zombies changed your perspective on life?

I pretty much live life to the fullest now, whatever that means. I treasure the little things now, like running water, a place to sleep, and a sturdy locked door. I value the closeness of my friends and family more now too, because who knows who is going to die next. 


Do you think the government is trying to cover something—an experiment accident of sorts, maybe?

I'm not really the theorizing type, but if you were to ask my brother that, he would say there is definitely a cover up. It does seem odd to me though, that this all happened so fast. But with the armed forces dying just as fast as the rest of us, I'm kind of leaning towards no cover up. Unless they have a sick sense of humor, which could be the case.  


Do you have an idea how any of this happened? Where is the dead coming from? How has this changed the health warnings in your community?

In the beginning, all I remember is seeing a moving dead body crawl out of a car and attack a friend of mine. At that time, I didn't really think about anything other than not letting the dead get to me. The zombies are like a fast spreading disease, and the once alive party I was at, quickly became a mob of the dead. The only health warning now, is to not get bit and to not trust those that do.


What happens if one of them touches you?

The dead are surprisingly fast, but thankfully, their not very smart. So their movements are pretty much sloppy, but they use all the strength they do have so they can bite into you. After having survived an attack recently, I know that nothing can change you except for the bite of one of them. I also know first hand at what can happen to someone once they are bit. And let me tell you, it's not pretty.


The first time you wielded an ax, what went through your mind?

To be honest, I was numb at the time and very afraid I suppose. I certainly wasn't expecting having to fight for my life at that moment, and lucky for me I ran into someplace where I found an ax to use. Now afterwards, that's a totally different story.


Do you feel safer with military involvement?

This is a very loaded question if there is one, mostly because I'm not sure. In a way, yes, we are safe, but I don't know how long that will last. They're rules and ways of things aren't exactly up to standard with what we are all used to. For one thing they don't tolerate anyone that is bitten, and have a very unique way with dealing with them.


Do you feel that falling in love in such a perilous time is wise or foolish?

At first I thought it was very foolish, only because I didn't want to lose anyone else I cared for. But when it came down do it, I figured life was too short not too. And even now, I'm very grateful for having someone I love, it gives me strength to keep moving if I were to stumble.


What kind of future do you hope to have?

Right now, I'm just trying to get by to the next day alive. If I had to picture what I want for the future, I would have to say that I can be reuinited with people I lost along the way. And for the zombies to be eliminated, that would be nice too.


Is there something you’d like to share with your readers?

Be careful where you walk and always be aware of your surroundings. If you come across someone that doesn't respond the usual way, I would run if I were you. Not all zombies look like they are dead. So. Don't. Get. Bit.



Oh no! Looks like our time is through here. Ready your ax, it looks like they’ve finally found us! Thank you, Maggie, for sparing a few precious moments of your time to help others realize that life isn’t as it appears to be—there could be a zombie lurking in the most unlikely places!

 AAAhhhhh! Gotta run, see ya later? Maybe . . .


Thank you for sharing Maggie with us, Amy! Find Maggie's story at Nook, or Kindle, or Smashwords!



Next Monday:  Grimoire by Marcy Hatch, Arlen Devlin Howard's Interview.

10 comments:

  1. Great interview! Love her perspective on the "dead being fast".
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a sweet comment. I'm excited to read yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the interview! :)

    Yesterday I got The Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award and I nominate you, Elizabeth, to be next! You can check it out for the information here:

    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riveting interview. I think I just got bit by a zombie tale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are always fun. I've thought about doing something like this on my blog but so far haven't. I may still get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good interview. Helps me develop a mind-set for the June 24 interview with my own MC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very thorough character interview! Loved the answer to what bothered her about her hometown. Used to be the blackflies, now it's the dead. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun interview! A clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saumya, thank you! Yes, I think that gives the dead a bad advantage over us. How terrifying! :(

    Amy, thank you for the award! *hugs* I had so much fun interviewing Maggie. <3

    Em, thank you! Me, too... ;)

    Charles, you should! I volunteer to be your guinea pig! :P

    Susan, oh, how exciting! Where can we find your MC interview?

    Carolina, glad to see you here! *waving* Love Maggie!

    Glynis, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude, I'm totally liable to get bit myself. I hardly ever pay attention to where I'm going or what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeff, yikes! I hope you don't get pounced! :/

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!