Friday, July 15, 2011

Fantastic Friday Writers



Dealing with Rejection Letters

Writers must have thick skin at all turns. We face the feeling of rejection from the very first day we create our draft. It goes through so many hands to get it to where it's at. The toughest, in my opinion, is the query letter.

After working months to perfect that letter, we send it off. And wait. And hope. And wait. Then, wait, there is the email address from the agent/publisher in our e-box. We open it and . . .  It is a rejection.

I have to admit that it's discouraging. I feel that maybe my query letter wasn't well presented. Maybe it was the logline? Or if I'd already sent off the first 5 pages? One thing's for sure, I've received letters from a live person stating it wasn't what they were looking for. I think that's of comfort because that means it wasn't a match for them.

I tell myself that the Lord didn't want my book there and there IS a home for it. If you've gotten as far as you have, book and all, there's no doubt that you were inspired by a higher force to get it this far. Why would it be meant to hide?

I won't ever give up in submitting future query letters, if I ever do, I'm denying myself the life-time opportunity to shine! Believe in yourself, don't let anyone bring you down--that is my mantra.

I wish you the best!

Let's see what FFW friends Alex, Anastasia, J. D., Deirdre, M. Pax, and Jeffrey experiences are with rejection letters!









9 comments:

  1. I think rejection is part of the process and the only person who can really stop you from writing is you. I think we hear enough stories of great writers being turned down to know it isn't personal, just a difference in what people are looking for at a particular time.

    great post,
    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mooderino, thank you for dropping by and sharing your thoughts. It's so true, something simple that is important to always bear in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've lost count of all the rejections/failures etc with my writing - but every so often one story gets through and makes all the hard work and tears and insecurities worth while!

    Thanks for your positive thoughts!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, that's great to hear! I love your optimism. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay on your book launch, Elizabeth.

    I've racked up lots of rejections, too. It's part of our path. It's OK. If I didn't have them, I'd not be writing and I'd be more miserable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rejection is a part of the process every writer has to go through. It does not mean the end of the road, it just means a turning, we have to take a new direction ( maybe rewrite that query letter).

    DarkSpell is sure building up a momentum, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rejections are part of life. More so when you're a writer. Thanks for your poignant post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your attitude - God will put you in the right place when you're ready!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary, those rejections make us stronger, don't they?

    Rachna, you're so right (about rejection letters), it is part of being a writer. Thank you! :)

    Cherie, you're welcome!

    Alex, thank you!

    I hope you guys have a great weekend!!!


    ♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥
    Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?
    YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!
    Pre-order your copy now!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!