Monday, December 26, 2011

Meet Anastasia V. Pergakis, my lovely guest!


Today, the fabulous Anastasia is visiting my blog. I'm honored to have her here!



Elizabeth asked me to write about my journey to writing, something that would be helpful to aspiring authors. As a warning, this post is going to get really dark for a moment, which might seem out of character for me as I usually try to stay positive in my posts, but it'll get better toward the end I promise. And you might not understand at first what this has to do with my journey to writing, but it will all be explained in the end, I promise.

To be helpful to aspiring authors that might be struggling with their writing, I'm going to tell you what keeps me motivated when times get tough.

So what motivates me to keep writing and not give up? Well, to answer that I have to take you back a few years to a sixteen year old girl trapped by alcohol and drug addiction. I couldn't function without a few vicodins or oxycodones to start the day, a few drinks after school (okay a lot of drinks) and more pills at night. The fact that I didn't stop my heart with this combination of chemicals is beyond me.

You see, for a long time, I wanted to die. Literally. And I tried. I prayed every day for years that I would go to sleep and not wake up. I would be extremely upset that I woke up everyday, still trapped in the darkness that had become my life.

I was so wrapped up in my own problems and simply just existing for so many years, that I crushed people along my way. I took advantage of them, manipulated them to get what I wanted, used them and then threw them away. I know; I was not a very nice person at all.

I don't want to scare you too much with the horror stories of those ten years, so let's skip ahead to the good part.

I was sitting there in June of 2006 and realizing how utterly alone I was. I literally had nothing and no one. I cried for days. From guilt, from loneliness, from the pain I felt physically. I had two "friends" that attended AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) meetings. So I gave them a call and asked if I could live with them (I was homeless at the time) and that I wanted to start going to meetings with them. I didn't believe even then, that I was an alcoholic, but I was so desperate to be rid of the guilt and pain I felt, that I was willing to try anything. They gladly accepted me into their home and helped me get back on my feet. I'll be grateful to them everyday for the rest of my life.

That was five and a half years ago.

I try to look at each day as a miracle - because it is. By rights, I should have died many times over before I even reached my 22nd birthday. I'll celebrate my 28th birthday in May.

So, what does all this have to do with my journey to writing? Well, a lot. During the darker times, I wrote twisted poetry and dark short stories - many of which I will never share with the world. I wrote cute little poem and stories as a young child, too. About a year into my sobriety, I realized that writing was the one thing I always had, that I always turned to release pent up emotions. It's how I find myself, how I deal with stress. It was then I decided that writing was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, for my career.

If I am to impart some ounce of wisdom or inspiration to other authors from my story it's this:

Never. Give. Up. Ever. Your life, YOU, are important. What you have to say is important. Someone out there loves you, no matter what. It doesn't matter whether you believe it to be God, Jesus, or a person in your life. SOMEONE does love you. Don't quit on your dreams or yourself. You'll regret it. I was given a second chance at my life 5 1/2 years ago. Not everyone gets that second chance. Chase your dreams and never, ever quit.

~ * ~ * ~

About Cleanse Fire

Cleanse Fire is a fantasy adventure novel, with edge-of-your-seat action. Epic battles, suspense, and a bit of romance too! Follow the Kinir Elite as they track down a traitor and find more than they bargained for.

**Portions of profits for this book are given to the Wounded Warrior Project**

Complete the mission, no matter what…
Captain Derac Vidor has served Kinir for nearly twenty years. It’s his life, his blood. And then his Commander betrays everything Derac holds dear. Now he has to focus on his own life and his team instead of saving the citizens of Kinir.

Treason is only the beginning…
Fueled by rage, the team chases the source to their Commander’s betrayal – a powerful wizard bent on revenge. The wizard seeks to destroy the Kinir Elite, in both mind and body. No place is safe, even among their allies.

The past holds the key…
Derac’s tragic past may be the key to saving the team. But can he face the gruesome nightmare in time?

Purchase Cleanse Fire

Join the Kinir Brigade by signing up for our newsletter! Get exclusive deals, access to special giveaways, and inside information about the series! Join the Kinir Brigade now and receive the first five chapters in your email! And don't forget to visit our Facebook Page and Website too!

~ * ~ * ~

I’m giving away an e-copy of Cleanse Fire! Leave a comment on this post to enter into the random drawing. I'll draw the names at the end of my tour, January 31, 2012. If you want more chances to win a copy, visit our website to follow our tour! The more comments you leave, the more chances you have to win!

All commenters will also be added to the drawing for a chance to win a signed hard cover. Drawing for the hardcover will be on January 31, 2012, the end of my tour.

You can also get more chances to win by tweeting or posting on facebook! Just leave a link to the tweet or post in a comment below!

**All Winners will be announced on the Kinir Elite Website on February 1st**


9 comments:

  1. Oh wow!! Hello there lovely Anastasia and Elizabeth!! Thank you for sharing your very emotive and powerful writerly journey! Yay for clawing your way out of the darkness into the light with your creativity and with words! All the best to you! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you for having the fortitude and courage to fight your way out of the darkness. You are a strong woman and obviously a gifted writer. Thanks Elizabeth and Anastasia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiring story! And that book sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks so much for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kitty: Thank you so much. It is hard to share sometimes as I know it's rather dark, but the end is what makes it all worth it!

    Em: Thank you. It was hard and I still have to put up a good fight every now and then, but it's getting easier and less often as time goes along.

    Kasey: Thank you stopping by! I'm glad my story can be inspiring and I hope it helps someone in some way. Everyone has their own types of darkness in their life, and I hope sharing about mine helps them battle theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very courageous to share such a personal journey so thank you for having the heart to do so. I'll be stopping by as many of the blog stops as I can to continue learning about the Elite.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott, thank you for stopping by! I'm so glad you'll be hopping around. :) I'm glad I can share my story with others. It's hard to talk about it sometimes, but, I remember that it might help someone and it helps me get it all out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The winners are announced! Em-Musing has won an e-copy of the book! Em, send me an email at thekinirelite[at]gmail.com with what format you'd like your book and I'll send it along to you! Congratulations!

    And, for those that didn't win, just so you know, Cleanse Fire is on sale until Feb 6th for only .99 cents at Amazon and B&N.com!

    Thanks again Elizabeth for having me as a guest for my tour!

    http://kinirelite.com/2012/02/and-the-winners-are/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Anastasia! I am humbled to have you as a friend. You're truly blessed to have such strength to overcome a trial like that. *hugs*
    It was an honor having you over!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!