Monday, January 23, 2012

Blood and Tears and Joy


I knew that getting my book published would change my life, but I didn't know in what way.

The first thing that hit me was a bad case of vertigo and nausea as soon as TreasureLine wanted Darkspell, my YA paranormal romance novel. I slammed the panic button and requested some more time before I sent it. I'm one lucky gal because my publisher is a real sweetheart. She consented and I deleted about 8,000 words; that's about 6 hours worth of writing gone.

As a writer, you never know when that agent/publisher will say yes. Your manuscript must be ready to the very minute!

I've always wanted to do my own chapter illustrations, but had forgotten all about it after I sent my baby off for editing. I emailed my publisher and asked her what she thought if I illustrated each chapter. She said it was a great idea if I wanted to do that. Over the course of a week and 117 hours worth of time, I completed 39 illustrations.

After a long nail-biting wait, the editor sent a marked up Darkspell for me to work on. When I was done, I had to wait for another long period of time. What to do now? After working day in and day out nonstop for a few months for Darkspell's perfection, this sudden bout of nothingness left me feeling out of place.

Then the thought hit me. Marketing. I could start marketing my book. I hunted down an author pal of mine and asked him how he handled pre-ordering. I tinkered with PayPal and slowly updated my website.

Is your head spinning yet?

There's so much work involved in getting a book published, but one thing's for sure, I couldn't have done all this without the moral support of other writers! Not only that, but I have the joy of knowing that I've finally reached my life's dream.


Would you like for me to share something fun?
From the author's portfolio, never before seen footage:

my 12 year-old son
my 15 year-old daughter

Equals

Chapter 15 illustration


FuN fAcT: the cover model is my 12 year-old son manipulated by moi to look 17!

Elizabeth Mueller Website  (find all 39 chapter illustrations!)
Elizabeth On Twitter 
Elizabeth On Facebook 
Darkspell on Smashwords 
Darkspell on Goodreads 
Amazon Kindle 

Read Darkspell here!





24 comments:

  1. LOVE your artwork - and that's very cool of your publisher to let you illustrate as well :) I'd love to do that myself.

    I think a lot of people who get requests go into an immediate panic & realise they're not ready (or at least don't feel ready).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is shocking when there's a request, then we ask ourselves, "Is it really ready?" Talk about sickening! :O

      Delete
  2. How exciting Elizabeth...Congratulations!

    Using your children's photos as inspiration for your artwork is so creative and personal; you will forever be bound to your book knowing they are part of it too.

    This was a very moving post, thank you for sharing your success.

    Hugs, Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenny! Thank you! You're right, it will forever be tied to me--like an heirloom for my family because their faces are in it! Imagine what they'll tell their children and children's children? That's me when I was 12/15! :)

      Delete
    2. What a great gift you've given your children...and as you say, this will be a gift in perpetuity - a legacy. Wow! I get goosebumps just thinking about it!

      Delete
  3. Have I ever told you that you have an amazing artistic talent? Well, I just did! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your beautiful children!! And with their most talented mum transformed into amazing book characters!! How wonderful!!

    Awww Elizabeth! I'm so happy your writerly journey is now paying off big time!! Yay for you!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're one fabulous friend, you know that? I really hope we can meet face to face one of these days! <3

      Delete
  5. When I finally am in the road to publication...I will remember your story and find encouragement...because bottom line...this is a business and that means more work than just writing. Great illustrations, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm excited for the things you'll experience. Remember that we are in this together and I'm here if you ever need me! ;)

      Delete
  6. Don't blink - soon he will be seventeen!
    That's probably the biggest surprise - how much marketing has to be done before the book is released.
    Glad they let you do the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, Alex! I know! Time flies so quickly and the growing family leave me sad when I think about it. But I need to hold onto them fast and love them now! :D

      Delete
  7. You already know how much I heart your illustrations. Fabulous! So happy things are going so well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved all the illustrations and all your hard work ! congrads on making ur dream come true mwah !! xxx and a big thanks to all those authors out there who stick by each other its a wonderful network for sure

    kat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrina, thank you! And thank you for recognizing the author family--it's tough, but made easy when we share the love! *hugs*
      Kat, you're one fabulous lady, thanks for all the smiles and happy tears!
      x

      Delete
  9. Elizabeth, you are exceptionally talented. Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! That's amazing! I have no artistic talent that way. Is it weird to think of your son as that old? :D It looks awesome! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thank you! I know, tell me about it (about my son). My sister tells me that my son WILL look like the older illustration of him--himself in aged progression 4 years from now. I wonder? ;)

      Delete
  11. OMG I love this! I had a hard time imagining your kids modeling for characters that were older than them, but now I totally see the resemblance! Very cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J.D.--yay! I'm so glad that it worked out, too! :D

      Delete
  12. hi elizabeth, love the illustrations they're brilliant:))

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!