Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Choosing a Direction . . .


. . . to take your book.

You'll notice the past several posts have been about my being a debut author.

As a debut author, I feel very  much like a teenager right out of high school. Lucky the ones who have counselors and parents and mentors who care. They knew what to expect, but here comes the great big world and you feel like a kid in a candy store. All this freedom!


Well, I kinda feel like that now. There are so many directions to choose from, yet I don't know which one! If I ask another debut author, it's like a blind man leading another blind man--we are at the same exact starting point!


So I've asked authors who have a few books out and share with them my confusion. I've had some say, "Oh, yeah, I remember doing that!"


Doh!



Even with a career in books, I haven't strayed far from a starting point. Without a mentor, a debut author is sorta alone because not many established authors discuss those early awkward days--not on Facebook, not on Blogger, no where.


So, I'm here to share with you  my successes and woes together.

My advice is to hook up with established authors you feel comfortable with asking away all your greenie questions!

Do you have an action plan? If so, care to share it with us? If you have more than one book, how did you deal with the teenie blues as a debut author?




 

9 comments:

  1. I've seen a few posts lately from debut authors who feel the same - like they've supposedly had success, and yet don't feel that they've achieved much. But I say they've achieved HEAPS, and you're included in that! :)

    I see what you're saying though, "Where to from here??" Well, I can't help ya, but hopefully some more wise writers out there can stop by & give good advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is weird and overwhelming to suddenly have a book out! I think I felt like it was so surreal for so long, and when it happened, I felt like I hadn't planned for it and I had no idea what I was doing! My third book is about to be released and I'm still not sure what I'm doing sometimes. ;) I think I've gotten more comfortable with it and I've been learning to find a balance in all the writing/editing/networking/the other gazillion things that come with being a writer.

    I think a lot of it is a step at a time, and remembering to breathe and sit down with coffee (or, you know, something similar) when it all gets a little overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No action yet, so no plan...but I belong to a writer group with several published authors. I lean on there advice and experience. So happy for your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww - enjoy asking those questions!!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just plunged into the next book! Something I didn't do right away after finishing the second, which is why I'm working on the third right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey again - just letting you know that I gave you an award:
    http://thefarseas.blogspot.com/2012/01/awards-round-1.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, gaining the experience of someone who's gone through it already is invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a semblance of an action plan but need to put more action into it. I think it's a good idea to listen to others and learn, but not be afraid to take ones own initiative with ideas that haven't been seen elsewhere. Don't let the negative voices hold you back.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a debut author YET, but I do imagine that a good writer's group would be a great support during that time, as well, assuming they had established authors involved. I definitely intend to ask plenty of questions and seek more information for each step of this process. Thanks for the advice!

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the A-to-Z; we're gearing up for the upcoming 2012 A-to-Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!