Friday, January 20, 2012

Ready, Get set . . .


 Survive!

A trusted friend comes to you and says, "Well, you're pretty familiar with astronomy, right?"


You nod your head. "Of course I am. I've only been studying the subject for twenty, maybe ten years?" You don't want to sound like a space geek.


Your friend smiles and says, "Welcome to our space expedition program, then!" He hands you the keys to his magnificent spaceship and says, "I'll see you later. Make it count."


Okay, you think, what do I do now?


That's the question. What do I do now? That's how it's like being a debut author. What now? What now . . . I've been told by a good friend that expectations kill. They do, don't they? I expect my book to sell well. It doesn't. I expect everyone to love it. They don't. I expect to become Ms. Popular in my town. I'm still invisible.


I know, this sounds so silly, but it's the misconception I had as an aspiring writer. Being published doesn't change very much unless it's a miracle!


I still don't know what to expect and every author I've spoken to--the nondebut ones--say, "Oh, yeah, I remember going through that. Don't worry, it'll get better [because you'll learn from your mistakes]." Just like real life.


*sigh*


I just thought I'd share my experience with you, so you'd know that I'm not walking the yellow brick road.

I'd love to hear your expectations? Go on, I promise not to snicker or roll my eyes. <3


15 comments:

  1. Well, yeah, if I ever did get published by a "big publisher" I'd expect that my life would change. But maybe, just maybe, my book would be a dismal failure & nothing at all would change. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trisha, being published by a small publisher is still life-changing. I think the only dismal failure is if you decided to quit on yourself.

      Something I always need to keep in mind is that though it isn't the NYT bestselling, Darkspll still has moved people and they've loved it.

      Not only that, but I've accomplished a goal that most people only dream about!

      Delete
    2. I know in my post I said nothing changes very much--as in a world-changing degree--but enough that I'm kept busy here at home like never before! ;)

      Delete
  2. Things change, just not like we'd planned. For one, before that first book, there's no pressure. After first book, pressure to do another one, and better! Otherwise I really didn't have huge expectations, so it's been a decent ride. And I'm glad I'm still invisible in my home town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, oh, that's so true. I should be happy that I am invisible! ;)
      Happy Friday!

      Delete
  3. Lovely Elizabeth - you're doing great and that's all that matters!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm way scared it won't live up to my expectations, so I'm trying hard to separate myself emotionally from my book debut--to some extent. I'm excited, but I'm convincing myself now that whatever happens is fine. I'll still be happy. I'll still be worthwhile. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, that's SO true! Whatever happens, happens. That's something I'm making myself live by, it's wisdom in all things, especially if you can't change it!

      Delete
  5. Well, that just sucks. I'll buy your book this weekend. I promise. That'll be one more towards a million sold. (So, smile!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. It makes me feel less of a shmuck. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth, the next step is to write and publish a second book, then a third, then a fourth, and so on. And remember to promote them a bit along the way. No one is a best seller over night. No one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Danielle, thank you for the encouragement. You're so right. *hugs* ^^

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!