Monday, February 20, 2012

reposted: Why are We Neurotic?

I've just proved my point at how crazy it's been. I had accidentally posted twice Wednesday last, and had meant to post this one today. Ugh. I hope you can pat me on the head and say it's okay for having read this again.

The article I posted the other day talked about how many authors are switching to Amazon for the publication of their books and how the publishers feel threatened. Something I read on there has had me thinking. The publishers are a bit smug, saying that Amazon won't know how to deal with neurotic authors calling them at all odd hours of the day.

Neurotic they say? That makes my skin crawl. Does the writing industry realize how authors come to be so neurotic? It's funny, I have to admit, but it's because of the red tape system and all the rejections we face at every angle (from red ink all over our manuscripts, the query/agent/editor/publisher trek, editor and MS fixes, bad reviews, waiting, waiting, waiting--even after being published we still face rejections!), it is no wonder why we are neurotic!


This comes to mind on the matter. I've replaced boldened words to suit my purpose:



*An author is not neurotic, your Highness, and those who are cannot help themselves.
 

Really! Well then by all means, enlighten us.


If you (agent, publisher--anyone in the writing industry) suffer your authors to be rejected, and their manners strained from infancy stage of writing, and then punish them for those strains by rejections to which their first introduction to publishing disposed them, what else is to be concluded, sire, but that you first make neurotic authors and then punish them?


The main reason I write this post is because of the way it was phrased in Bloomberg's article--it felt smug of them to say that we are neurotic.



What are your thoughts on how writers are forged to be the way they are?


*(borrowed from Ever After: A Cinderella Story quote site)







10 comments:

  1. Once I stopped kissing up to what agents wanted and blew them all a kiss goodbye, I was so much happier!
    No, I'll never get rich and famous self-publishing, but people are buying and reading my stuff, AND I'M HAVING FUN AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, that's wonderful! Keeping that in perspective is a great thing. Thanks for the hope!

      Delete
  2. I love that movie and I recognized the quotation right away! You make a very good point. I'm not to that point yet, but it's good to know that neuroses are in my future. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kasey--lol! *sigh* Yes, it certainly is! ;0)

      Delete
  3. Well, there is a reason the IWSG is so popular! Now we know who to blame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, Alex, I know. I resigned for IWSG, I know I can handle that now!

      Delete
  4. I can see the traditional publishing process making pretty much anyone neurotic.

    What really got me, though, was the phrase immediately following: "...the frantic edits on awful manuscripts."

    Exactly what kind of author can expect an "awful manuscript" to get anywhere near an agent, let alone a publisher? All I can think of are the "celebrity" authors, and IMHO the people who publish them deserve all the sleepless night they get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it certainly can get ugly, that's for sure!

      Delete
  5. It seems to me that authors are constantly having to seek approval from on place or another, whether that be publishers, agents or readers. A child who goes through the same thing with their parents will certainly chance becoming neurotic, so it can be with authors.

    I'd say now is not the time for publishers to be smug about anything. They should be trying to change with the times, focusing on saving themselves, not being smug and insulting the very authors on which their livelihoods depend.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I do freelance magazine writing and the wait for an anwer to just the query is crazy. These are articles not books. OMG! I love that Amazon is giving writers a chance and letting the readers decide! Thanks for co-hosting the A-Z, its going to be great!
    dreamweaver

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!