Wednesday, March 7, 2012

IWSG: Crazy Daisy


I have to admit that I have "lost" my spiritual innocence ever since Darkspell was published. I happily read my scriptures every night, went to church without dragging my feet, happily volunteered in my kids' classrooms at school, and all that stuff a spiritually balanced person can do without feeling burdened. Until . . .

my book was published.

My mental focus was reinvented and I felt overwhelmed* with just about everything! Marketing your book is another full-time job on top of writing your books, then there's taking care of family, then when real life happens? No wonder I feel like the pic below!

I've confided in several published authors and guess what they say? "Oh, I remember that happening to me." or "I used to do that, too."

Whoa, so this is is more common than anyone lets on, you know that?

I've come up with a schedule that has me marketing/blogging/ ANY social networking down to 1 1/2 hours a day, one hour for writing whatever I want, then my kids get home after that until I can get back to my writing after they are tucked in. Little here, little there--but I refuse to social network (which I immensely enjoy) during my childrens' up time. I feel miserable if I do.

When do you squeeze marketing/networking between real life?
*I've figured exactly why--I was digitally overloaded and my soul was protesting!





♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

A to Z co-host
#AtoZChallenge
@AprilA2Z

15 comments:

  1. *HUGS* I hope you find the perfect balance! I'm not even published and I am having a hard time balancing everything. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, cutie! Thank you for visiting. I'm still struggling with it, other things are starting to creep in, too! Yikes...

      Delete
  2. Oh, you're supposed to market and network AS WELL AS write? My balance is way off at the moment. I have a MS ready to edit, but I find myself blogging and Facebooking more. I like your 1 and a half hours - I might try to limit myself. I'm thinking of trying an alarm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck finding a happy equilibrium!

    After blogging for over 2 years now - I've quite happily accepted how this is very much part of my little bit of fun! So I think the moment I see it as a chore, then I'll stop!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, see? This is my fear...I'll get published and then fall flat with marketing and the book will be a flop, the agent will drop me so then I'll self pub, fall flat with marketing and when I die, I'll have a warehouse full of books no one wants to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, all the normalcy of life goes away!
    That's why I'm glad I can blog some from work, because I also do it in the evening, but not as much as I would otherwise. And that gives me more time for my wife and guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good that you've taken action to bring back balance. I find that so many things remain undone, especially if I stop writing them down. We do have to work hard to write, edit and market, but having a happy life and good health is way more important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate to your post - it is so hard to get a balance. You seem to be doing very well in rationing yourself - I find it so hard to peel myself away from the keyboard, there is always one more blog to read, one more tweet to send and just how many times a day I check my Amazon KDP sales reports is shocking! I think having a routine and sticking to it is probably a very good way of keeping in control. Well done...keep it all up!
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there. Congrats on your book! Looks like something I would want to read. I'll check it out. I am #94, popping in from Alex's blog, and a new member of your blog. Feel free to pop by my blog. I'm trying to get a writing support group e-Magazine started where aspiring and established writers can get their work printed and provide constructive feedback to each other. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's this "real life" you speak of? *sighs* I know what you mean. It seems like all I do is writer or work related and nothing else, especially most of "real life" gets done. Then when I try to balance it all by adjusting things by time, then I get so far behind on everything it stresses me out. Good luck with your balance! I'm still trying to find mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you've come up with a great plan! I like that you add time for writing whatever you want.

    Hope you're having a fantastic week, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear you. And you are so right. Plugging is much harder than writing. And balancing it all? I'm dropping stuff all over the place. It's a work in progress and I think your on to something with a bit by bit approach. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. (=

    Tagged you for a meme on my blog. Check it out!

    http://jostorm.blogspot.com/2012/03/lucky-sevens.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always important to find balance, that's for sure. I'm glad you've got a good schedule figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping over from the A to Z Challenge. I can't wait to start!!
    P.S. Of course I'm your newest follower
    Giggle, Laugh, Cry

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!