Monday, March 26, 2012

The #Phosphate Conspiracy: is it my #dishwasher?

Did you notice that nasty white film on your dishes? Okay, well, that same cup has been through three cycles and--what!?!--it still has that nasty film, and I know I SCRUBBED it!


Does this sound like you? I know it has me--we've had the repair guy over several times. My dishes are still being stubborn--maybe it's the dishwasher! Aha! We bought a new dishwasher. Nope.

So, what is it then?

I've spoken with a handful of people, even strangers, about this epidemic. It's jaw-dropping at what we discovered with a single plumbing friend. The puzzle is solved. Guess what he told us? That all dish detergents were stripped of their phosphates.


Hear what Ryan from ApplianceJunk.com has to say about this:

"My customers are seeing this problem and I have been seeing this issue on various forums across the net.

The government has new regulations that make detergent companies remove phosphate from the detergent. Phosphate was originally put into dishwasher detergent to get rid of minerals in the water and improve wash performance. Without phosphate minerals are staying behind in the form of a white film on dishes.  The best way to resolve this issue is to clean your dishes with citrus acid a few times a year. Here is an article I wrote on this issue.   http://appliance-repair-it.com/dishwasher-leaves-white-film-on-dishes.html"



Go and Google "phosphates removed from dish detergents" and see just how rampant this is!


So one day I was with my friend and I saw her squirt about half a cup of concentrate lemon juice--yea, just like that picture to the right. I asked her why she did that, and she said the dishes come out clean! No white film. Crazy as it sounds, it
really does work!


Hooray! This is GOLD to all dishwasher users.



Here we thought our kids were not scrubbing the dishes well enough and they got into loads of trouble (poor things). Oy... Did you end up buying a new dishwasher? Please share with us your dishwasher woes.


Please share this post on all your social networks to create an awareness on how to circumvent our mass hysterical problem!




12 comments:

  1. As it's only me and the cat, I don't have a dishwasher but the squirting of lemon juice sounds like a great tip!! Yay! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it's just me and the cat, I don't have a dishwasher but the squirting of lemon sounds like a great tip! Yay! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I don't have a dishwasher! Will share the post as my friends will enjoy this, thanks for letting us know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I researched this recently and learned that the companies that make dish detergents are doing this because several states (not all) don't allow the sale of detergents containing phosphates for home use. Restaurants can still buy detergent that contains phosphates. The companies made an across-the-board change to their household detergents so they didn't have to make one kind for some states and another for the rest.

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon juice works really well on grilles as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemon juice isn't expensive either. Sounds like a winner to me. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, great photo!! And wow, just lemon juice? I love simple and cheap solutions to things. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, thanks for the tip. I have the same problem, will definitely give it a try!

    I was stopping by to say hello before the A-Z challenge begins. I'm already a follower from last years challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was having the cloudy film problem, but then I just started using double doses of dishwasher detergent and that seems to work.


    Lee
    Sad Songs Blogfest (I’m a day early I know)
    A Faraway View
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is also a product called Lemi-shine that is powder and does the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have a dishwasher either, but I can believe lemon would do the job well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only problem is that with some of the things I wash, it specifically said on the packaging to not use lemon juice or it will ruin the finish. So, we have to make sure we buy dish washing liquid with no lemon. Weird, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!