Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P is for ...



Pine trees! Namely the blue spruce, Utah's state tree.

In 1933, this magnificent tree was chose as our state tree by Utah State Legislature. This tree grows wild in the Wasatch and Uinta Mountains (they love 6,000 to 9,000 feet elevation climates) and can be transplanted successfully into your yard in these surrounding areas.

The needles are silvery blue. They can grow as tall as 18 to 21 meters high tall!
Utah has a national champion in Ashley National Forest. It is 186 inches in circumference, 122 feet tall, and the crown spread of 36 feet!


It's no wonder this tree was assigned as Utah's State Tree!



What's your state tree?

5 comments:

  1. They are beautiful - I love the smell of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! They're blue!! Yay! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea! I do prefer pine trees to any other kind of tree though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This particular tree is very appealing.
    Since we moved here to Mt Airy, we have planted almost 42 trees, plus bushes and such.
    Very cool the way you used the "P" here.
    Best regards Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My state tree is the bald cypress. I live on a ranch so we have a variety of trees. I love just sitting out in the woods reading a good book.


    Eat Live Move: Intuitive Eating from A to Z!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!