Friday, April 20, 2012

R is for ...





Refuge, the Bear  River Migratory Bird  Refuge that is!

There  are more than 200 species of birds that visit this 74,000 acres of land. Lucky them, don't you think? (Imagine if the government set aside that much land to house people who are under  duress? To keep them safe and comfortable and happy?) I think we need a National Human  Refuge! Hahaha!

Interesting to learn that these wetlands are drying up because of the surplus of vegetation called Phragmites. It is a common  reed. When I hear  the word  reed, I think of the Nile  River and wonder  if the Ancient Egyptians had a Phragmite problem that drove their  birds away?

 Interesting, isn't it?

Like the Phragmites, is there too much of a good thing going on in your  life that is sucking out the life of you?

3 comments:

  1. That is interesting. Who'd of thunk it?

    Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of refuges, we have bird sanctuaries here. Ironically, many of them are found in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give you my bird, Nevermore... The Raven. I am not sure either, just inspired.

    Right On... to the challenge "R" is for Refreshing Post!
    Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
    A to Z Co-Host
    My New Book:
    Retro-Zombie: Art and Words

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!