Monday, August 27, 2012

My Author Platform?

I'm not sure if I've already blogged about this, but it's been bouncing around in my brain for the longest time and I can't remember anymore if I have or not.

As a published author, we are all pushed to come up with a platform. That word, to me, is abstract that I still have a hard time defining it, but this post isn't going to preach what a platform should or shouldn't be. I want to write about how I lost myself as a published author.

Okay, so at writers conferences, it gets beaten into our heads (poor things are already overrun by countless other subjects) that we need to find a way to appeal to our audience. What this is saying is that I need to define who I am as a public figure.

For the longest time I've done that. I've tried to fit myself to what I should be like whenever I step into "author mode" whether it be online or in person.

It's to the point that I've lost myself. I feel like a teenager all over again trying to discover just who it is I am and I have not been happy. Why not just be me? Why not blog about things that I enjoy rather than trying to come up with something savvy that would appeal to readers or writers? Just be me.

That's one of the BIGGEST reasons why my blogging has slowed to a near stop, because I feel like I am not being honest with you, with myself, for recreating something that wasn't me to begin with. I will just be me.

Welcome to Elizabeth Mueller, mother of 4 with one on the way. Wife of 17 years of marriage who thought she wouldn't make it past the first year due to hardships. Abused child who overcame the uglies and reinvented who she was to survive in a fast-paced world. Mormon girl who hasn't always been a Mormon. Published author who often questions herself if this is still the right career for her because the support system seems to have disintegrated from under her feet and I'm not referring to the RoCkIn' hubby who hopes I'd strike gold in this rush.

Welcome to me.

20 comments:

  1. Dear Elizabeth,
    Always be yourself. You are an amazing person! Your smile has the capacity to bring in fans. Since we first met, I knew we would be friends. I am sending you tons of *hugs* Love Ya
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isabel, you are a fabulous friend. I'm lucky to have your friendship, thank you! *HUGS*

      Delete
  2. Hi Elizabeth, I kinda know how it feels when you're tryinh to be someone else. Glad to have the real Elizabeth back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to beautiful you!! Yay! take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pleased to meet you, Elizabeth ;-)

    Sometimes you do need to just accept that a thing wasn't working and try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got spunk. And heart. Your soul bleeds through in every post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, girl, I've missed you. Sorry I haven't visited your blog in a while--I really enjoy your posts, too! <3

      Delete
  6. Brilliant! Just be you! THAT is your platform

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're cool as you!
    I guess my platform is me because I wouldn't know what else to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with me is that I am a perfectionist. I try to go by the rules down to the tee. So trying to bend myself to please an audience as we are told we should do as published writers really went far. The dam broke and here I am. LOL

      Delete
  8. Getting yourself out there has to be enjoyable or you won't do it. Plus people will relate better to the real you than they would an online persona. Glad you worked it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Funny, now that I really think about it, I have always been myself in person: I laugh and connect and share my heart with people (as that author figure, too), but we also need to appear graceful, gracious and coy--you know, the pubic figure routine.) Ugh...

      Delete
  9. I agree that you should just be yourself! Because you are amazing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This would have been a great post for the Insecure Writers Support Group.

    I know what you're saying about repeating topics. I think I'm starting to repeat myself and things like "platform" are topics that so many others have written about as well. Why? Probably because we keep hearing about it and still haven't totally figured it out. We all have our own concepts of what that should be and so many other terms that we hear.

    You are you and that's what this blog is all about. We wouldn't want it any other way.

    Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Lee! Glad to see you here. Tell me about it, it's crazy. It's like the teacher thinking s/he must have an educational blog rather than personal. So silly how I let that confuse me. :)

      Delete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!