Monday, September 3, 2012

Living the Pages

We are what we write. I believe that our fears, desires, our subconscious rises from the figurative grave to haunt our dreams every night. We are the sum of our beliefs that reveal themselves every night. Just as that is so, it manifests in our writing.

My brother pointed out the other day that my themes and stories are dark. Dark? I wondered. Well, I confess that I am drawn to Gothic stuff though I don't wear black lipstick. My stories are dark, yes, they are. They are not dark like Anne Rice's vampire writings, though.

My experiences, beliefs, and views are expressed through every book I write. Yes, they have dark themes in there. War. Death. Demons. Abuse . . . With it come love, forgiveness, self-discovery, strength--everything an antitheses of its opposite because that is what I've endured as a child and young adult as well as now.





Have you read my bio? I write what means most to me. I am an advocate for those who feel lost and lonely and hated. Why? Because I've endured those uglies off and on throughout and my desire to help others not feel that way is strong.

Remember Anne Rice and her Vampire Chronicles? That was her way of questioning God's existence. She struggled for 38 years and lived her doubt through her characters. Have you wondered why she has decided to move on from her dark themes? It's because she has found light and her spirit is now filled. Curious, isn't it, how a writer's work can change with their belief system. No, not really curious. Writers are people too and our actions are revealed through our works just like any other person.

Have you found that your actions (writing, hobbies, life) manifest your belief system? Think about it for awhile. I'd love to hear what you have discovered about yourself.

14 comments:

  1. Absolutely. I have very strong feelings about duty in the face of loss, and how the treatment of loved ones should be rewarded. That definitely shows in my writing. To the point where a major theme of my work is sacrifice, and picking yourself up no matter how hard you fall. I also write happy endings, eventually, because I feel people should be rewarded for doing the right thing even when it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love happy endings and your themes are certainly inspiring. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. <3

      Delete
  2. Well, your blog design is dark and Gothic so are you sure about that black lipstick, Elizabeth? Great post though! I have themes that recur in my books involving family relationships and how people use time and money, because these are subjects that fascinate me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I tried black nail polish the other day, though! Interesting. In our quest of figuring the things that fascinate us, I have no doubt that we become experts in the subject. Right? ;)

      Delete
  3. I try to keep my personality and beliefs way way away from what I write! I like being removed from my stories! That's just me and it works for me!

    And I love the Gothic-ness all over this blog! Yay! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's most intriguing that you write apart from who you are. You must do tons of research. I know that we, as writers, are taught to write what we know--whatever that entails could be drawn from experience. Even research.

      Do you think how you feel people would react to certain circumstances is a part of you when your characters take on a life of their own as you write?

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, I know I'm guilty of this. And actually, I think everyone is, even if they don't realize it.
    A writer can't help it, really. We choose genres we like, and what we think is important goes into the tale, even if we're not trying to do that.
    I know, for example, that I'll never write a story that glorifies a girl giving up herself just to get a guy -- because I really hate seeing that in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Lisa! I agree with you. Thanks for dropping by! <3

      Delete
  5. I'm an advocate by profession for people with disabilities but I use these skills to advocate for other things that I believe in as well. I hope this comes through in my writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, that's wonderful! I'd love to see how you instill that in your writing. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, yes. Definitely. My beliefs are everywhere in my work. Sometimes it makes me feel very vulnerable knowing others will read it and know so much about me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I really do like your work, Angie. :)

      Delete
  7. I've certainly explored my beliefs through my writing, and have found changes over time...I think every creative art expresses a moment in time and, as time goes on, the expressions are likely to vary. Maybe they're supposed to?
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do explore my beliefs through my writing. Many of my character's actions echo my sentiments.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!