Monday, September 10, 2012

Perceptive Readers

This post is based off of last week's thoughts, but on the other side of the pages. Have you ever, as a reader, stopped, put your book down, and think, "This sounds like something that actually happened to the author." Or, "There's no way the author could have known that unless s/he experienced that" because you went through it first hand and felt the familiar emotion play out within you?

As a reader, a lot of the times, things jump out at me. For example, Cindy Hogan's Watched. A young girl witnesses a murder through an unusual way in a bathroom stall. As soon as I reached that part, a thought hit me, and I had the feeling the author experienced that same unusual way the heroine in the bathroom had (I am not referring to murder, either!). Because the author and I are friends, I was free to ask if this was the case. She confirmed.

I've had several incidences where, as I read books, a hard realization occurred: "This must have happened to the author in real life." And it turns out that it had happened in real life to the authors; some of the instances have made me sad, knowing this good friend endured such tragedy.

There are undeniable philosophical truths that many writers use in their works and it may strike the reader in the heart. Some dark truths can be woven into books that the writer would never dare discuss with anyone, but it is there in the book.

As a writer, for example, the theme in my novel, Rock Star, is similar to my own life. I have endured many tragedies, indulged in my emotions during my low points--even sabotaged good things that came into my life because I felt I didn't deserve them, yet, I have felt the goodness of it that helped change my life around. I am not quite sure what truths readers may pick up and think, "Aha! It seems the author may have experienced this exact thing." (Though I've never once been a famous rock star in my life!) I do wonder what truths my readers pick up on as they read my work?

Have you ever had that feeling, as a reader, that you knew the writer experienced the exact same thing you had just read?

13 comments:

  1. I do remember having this feeling before, yes. I think writing can say a lot about the person who wrote it, even if it's mostly fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On occassion, yes. But mostly with a general treatment of particular topics. Like getting an impression of a particular author's past history with women based on how he tends to handle them in his work. Or that moment where you find out another author was once a victim of sexual abuse and suddenly their whole book clicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so true! I have a friend who learned that she tended to make all her female characters really rude and condescending. It was a shock to her when she realized. I wonder if she knew where it truly came from?

      Delete
  3. Gosh - I guess unrequited love is always something I can relate to when reading a novel describing such a thing! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs* Thanks for sharing this with me. Could you please give Charlie a hug for me?

      Delete
  4. I have. But sometimes I think that an experience must have influenced the writer to create such a scene or emotion. I find the influence of 'real' life more than exact incidents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure. I don't think I've put any of my own experiences into my books either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man! So it shouldn't really surprise me that you've never navigated a space ship, then? ;P

      Delete
  6. I think everything we write comes straight from our hearts and souls. It makes me feel very vulnerable sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it... But I always hope that someone else could benefit from it!

      Delete
  7. Interesting post! I think even writers who say they make it all up are using their experiences to a certain degree. How else would they be able to find the words?

    I've tagged you today on my blog for "The Next Big Thing" game. When you get a chance, come take a look - hope you play along!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!