Wednesday, September 24, 2014

How I Almost Killed Us

Once upon a time, we were planning to move. I had just had a baby and my hubby was an over the road driver. Every weekend, we'd head down south 2 hours to spend time with him in the new apartment we were slowing moving into. Having just had a baby, my bio clock was waaaay off and sleep was a coveted thing for me.

It was on the drive home that my body was wrung dry of sleep and my hubby suggested that I stay and let the kids miss school that Monday; it was Sunday evening. Not wanting them to miss, I decided to drive anyway.

I fought Mr. Sandman throwing grit into my eyes from the time I left, and about an hour and a half into the drive, I started nodding! My 14 year old son, sitting shotgun, had the strongest impression to look at me. Strange that a teenager would even care to look at me when he could be playing on my cell, right?

Well, as it turns out, he caught me with my eyes closed.

"Mom!" he said, clutching my arm. I opened my eyes and saw that we were heading into the V where the exit ramp splits from the highway and it was buffered by a bunch of orange construction barrels. I gasped (I only had about 3 seconds to make a choice), and swerved into the exit ramp and safely got off.

How lucky we were that no one was behind us. How idiotic it was for me to *not* listen to my hubby and kids to stay one more night.

As I write this, I feel shame that I didn't listen to everyone when they urged me to stay, but my drive to get my kids home for school the next day overwrote it all. I will never again feel bad to miss school if it comes right down to it because my family comes first!

14 comments:

  1. How scary. Glad you're all okay. I fell asleep at the wheel for a second when I was very young and before kids. It was a snow storm and it kind of hypnotized me. Now I'm very aware of when I'm too tired to drive. I never sleep when I'm a passenger because I don't trust anyone else to be alert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. How scary. I know what you mean about staying awake as a passenger. I'm glad you're okay, too!

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness you and your family had loving watchful eyes over you. I know how it is. I've driven many times when I should have been sleeping safely somewhere. I've had some close calls but fortunately God has kept me safe.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am grateful for God and his angels as well!

      Delete
  3. Yikes! How lucky it was that your son happened to be looking at you in that moment, though. Glad no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, you wrote this in such a beautiful storyteller's way. Don't feel bad. We're all human (I hope) and make the same mistakes from time to time. I'm feeling so happy for you that you were driving with your son. You'd be amazed how frequently and carefully your children look at you. It's how we imprint on them so deeply and how they learn so many different things. Good thing he was looking your way. You survived and learned a life-lesson that we all benefit from hearing and considering as we move along life's path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I am so glad that my son was watching me, if he was way into his cell phone playing games, we wouldn't have come out of this alive... <3

      Delete
  5. Scary experience. I think all of us have times we figure we CAN just because we think we SHOULD, but sometimes that is REALLY not the smartest choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how true! I love that--something to live by!

      Delete
  6. Heck with it - let them miss school. Missing the rest of their lives would be far worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! Never, ever, ever again will I put school over our lives. x(

      Delete
  7. Elizabeth! I'm back again. I've got a little something for you for being so versatile. Congrats! http://swaggerwriters.blogspot.com/2014/09/by-kim-van-sickler-it-all-started-here.html

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!