Wednesday, September 10, 2014

If You Found a Diamond as BIG as Your 2 Hands ...



In the dark of the night, a mysterious light streaks across the black sky and hits the ground with a glowing impact. A lone peasant and his dog investigate and are stunned to see a gift from Heaven. Because of this object’s very nature, this man delivers it in good faith to the Abbey where the monks are restless and poor from lack of donations. This is when the abbot is inspired to use the celestial rock’s beauty to gain control, but soon, it spins out of control and turns into something ugly.

As I read Mirror of the Soul, I easily became lost in the pages as the many characters endure faith-testing trials. Some fail miserably, some hang by the proverbial thread while for others, it’s not a question of if neither when.

My favorite part is each time Morgan mentions the trio of best friends who are bored teenagers as they roam the village, getting into things they shouldn’t. Unbeknownst to them, they accidentally unravel the deep secret of the abbey.


J. Lloyd Morgan is one of my favorite authors! He has the knack, the ability to get into the hearts and minds of the characters and breathes into them as they jump to life on the pages right before my eyes. He never fails to weave a complicated line of excitement with intrigue and romance along with injustice and justice locking head-to-head as he does in The Mirror of the Soul. I love the way his mind works.

NOTE: The author provided a free copy of this book which has had no sway in my review.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is! I love his work. I bet you'll enjoy it as well! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting book. I'm going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! I'd love to know what you think when you're done! <3

      Delete
  3. Hi Elizabeth! I've been reading your past few posts. I really liked your sunflower tribute for Tina. Thanks for your review of the Morgan book. The story sounds intriguing.

    My sister is a published author. Her first book was on spelling and she managed to land an excellent endorsement from an expert on spelling. How did she do it? She just asked. She said to me, "What's the worst that can happen? Someone says 'no.' Just ask someone else and keep asking until you get a 'yes.' " My sister is amazing and dogged in pursuit of a goal. Maybe that's why she's published a book and I haven't! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Fundy!

      Your sister has an excellent philosophy. What's the worse they can say, right? It is the best thing, also, to ask what your book specializes in for those to endorse it. Like a book that has to do with rock stars, get a rock star to endorse it! Okay, well, even if he's in a band and plays locally, that counts, right???

      Aw, I love seeing my fellow writers published (if that is their goal). You have heart, I do see it coming! <3

      Delete
  4. I think I know what I may be reading next! Thanks for the writeup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy this as much as I did! I'd love to hear your thoughts when you're done! :)

      Delete
  5. what an insightful book! i love books with vivid lessons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This author is really good at this stuff. I can't wait to read his other books!

      Delete
  6. This guy sounds like a great writer! Thanks for the enthusiastic review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm happy you enjoyed it... <3

      Delete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!