Thursday, November 20, 2014

My Personal Internal Conflict

"Do you think your value to Him (Heavenly Father) changes based on how many followers you have on Instagram or Pinterest? Do you think He wants you to worry or get depressed if some un-friend or un-follow you on Facebook or Twitter?"


I loved President Uchtdorf's Conference address. As an author, I get caught up in appearances (as in showing up) and worry about numbers rising or dropping. I am so tired of that. It's the constant nagging of having to show presence so that my fans won't forget me.

My publisher had once said that I've already built my fanbase and the true ones will be there as time moves on. It's constant work on having to maintain as well as garner them--remember all successful relationships require nurturing. Human nature.

I have a lot of work ahead of me, but feeling pushed and pulled; plus, not having the means to back me up makes it even more frustrating and I almost feel at a loss. As of now, I feel it necessary to decide what is more important and go with that.


If keeping up doesn't feel like this, how do you manage to work in your favor without all the anxiety? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy networking, making friends and everything authorly, but it's been overwhelming lately. I'd love to hear your thoughts either way!

7 comments:

  1. I guess I just try to focus. That's why I'm only on a couple social sites - blogging and Twitter. I can just focus on those without feeling like I have to do it all. And some days, I admit - I slack a bit. Like today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that Twitter is simpler and not as involving as Facebook. I wonder if I'd be more effective there?

      Delete
  2. I just step away from social media sometimes. I don't know how some people get any writing done. They're on twitter all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I have to literally turn off our internet router so as to keep the kids from logging on with their tablets and xbox! x(

      Delete
  3. Neither do I. I wonder what other ways we can share ourselves other than internet? It seems it's the only way for authors (cheaper, easier) though it really isn't! It's time consuming as well and almost feels futile when little return. At least that's the way it has been for me lately, though I will not give up. I just need to work smarter, not harder. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this man and remember that talk. It is hard to not get caught up in all that but your value doesn't come from that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is so true! I'm teaching my kids that nothing gets done when they spend their time on there and I need to set a timer for myself once I hit my online goals!

      Delete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!