Monday, June 29, 2015

How Alex J. Cavanaugh is Human


So I've asked amazing friend, husband, author, and blogger (and much more) how a day is like for him. His hard work is impressive and I just couldn't resist asking him how he survives. This is what Ninja Alex J. Cavanaugh says:




The Balancing Act – A Day in the Life of a Ninja


Elizabeth wanted to know how I manage to do what I do without going insane. How do I balance family, work, blogging and writing? Plus music, church, and everything else in between.

I might joke that I have clones, but it’s just me. I have the same hours in a day as everyone else. Maybe it’s just how I chose to spend those hours. So, let me give you a rundown.

I do work full time, but I am able to blog from work, which is a big plus. Due to multiple computers on my desk (and my iPad) I can work and blog at the same time. My job is often feast or famine, so I might not have any work to do. (When I do have work, I get it done immediately though.) I also blog a little in the evening. It averages out to almost a hundred blogs I visit a day.

Several times a week, I hit the gym after work. Being out of shape can really add stress to a body. Staying in shape means I have more energy. Plus it’s a great way to relieve tension.

I’m also a musician and practice on my own or with the band at least six times a week. If I’m on my own, I do this not long after dinner and for about an hour.

If I am working on a story, I will spend another two to three hours writing once I’ve finished practicing. I’ve tried writing at work, but there are too many interruptions. I can only write in the seclusion of my office. Usually I can complete a first draft in two months.

Of course I spend time with my wife. We always eat dinner together and we spend time in the evening together. We’ll go visit friends, go see a movie, or just out to eat. Sometimes there are events at church. (Sometimes there is yard work. That I don’t enjoy.)

And let’s not forget sleep! I do like my sleep, even if I don’t get enough of it.

While that might seem like a lot, remember I don’t have kids. I admire those of you who have to juggle kids on top of everything else.

I think it all comes down to priorities. What’s important? Where will those hours be spent? And how can balance be maintained? There is a balance and rhythm to my life so I can stay sane. I can tell when it’s out of whack. (Plus my wife is quick to point it out as well.) And I will only push the boundaries for so long.

What do you have to juggle in your life?




Dragon of the Stars

By Alex J. Cavanaugh

Science Fiction – Space Opera/Adventure/Military

Print ISBN 9781939844064 EBook ISBN 9781939844057

Dancing Lemur Press, LLC http://www.dancinglemurpress.com/

What Are the Kargrandes? http://whatarethekargrandes.com/



The ship of legends…

The future is set for Lt. Commander Aden Pendar, son of a Hyrathian Duke. Poised to secure his own command and marriage to the queen’s daughter, he’ll stop at nothing to achieve his goals.

But when the Alliance denies Hyrath’s claim on the planet of Kavil and declares war on their world, Aden finds his plans in disarray. Entrenched in battle and told he won’t make captain, Aden’s world begins to collapse. How will he salvage his career and future during Hyrath’s darkest hour?

One chance remains–the Dragon. Lost many years prior, the legendary ship’s unique weapon is Hyrath’s only hope. Can Aden find the Dragon, save his people, and prove he’s capable of commanding his own ship?

Purchase:
Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Stars-Alex-J-Cavanaugh-ebook/dp/B00S0DPUYU/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1420814971&sr=1-1&keywords=dragon+of+the+stars
Barnes and Noble - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dragon-of-the-stars-alex-j-cavanaugh/1121069418?ean=2940046510720
ITunes - https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dragon-of-the-stars/id957912496?mt=11
Kobo - http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/dragon-of-the-stars
Amazon UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Stars-Alex-J-Cavanaugh-ebook/dp/B00S0DPUYU
Amazon print – http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Stars-Alex-j-Cavanaugh/dp/1939844061/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1427824785&sr=1-1
Overdrive - https://www.overdrive.com/media/2130736/dragon-of-the-stars
Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23521766-dragon-of-the-stars


Alex J. Cavanaugh has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and works in web design, graphics, and technical editing. A fan of all things science fiction, his interests range from books and movies to music and games. Online he is the Ninja Captain and founder of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. He’s the author of Amazon Best-Sellers CassaStar, CassaFire, and CassaStorm.

http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com/
http://www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com/
http://twitter.com/AlexJCavanaugh

77 comments:

  1. I'm human all right!
    Thanks again, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You still achieve more than most of us do Alex. Didn't know you hit the gym. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have said for years Alex must have a clone or two... truth be told, he just works hard at what he does and does it well. I have to know what you do for your job or that confidential like the clones you have in your corner. Either way I wish him and his works a world of more success and thank him and you Elizabeth for sharing...

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is quite the guy, isn't he? :)

      Delete
    2. My job is often feast or famine, which gives me a lot of down time.

      Delete
  4. Structure. That is what I get out of a day in the life of the Amazing Alex.
    One question: how do you deal with a spouse who continually says stuff like, "Hey, you gotta come see this." On the TV, front lawn, Facebook. ARGGGHHHH.

    I am bookmarking this post for future reference.

    Congrats Alex on Dragon and the Cassa series. Love them all.
    Btw, you left out film critic *G*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It drives me nuts when my spouse says the same thing. x(

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Huntress. Yeah, after today's post, I guess I can say film critic. And fortunately, my wife doesn't entice me to come see something often.

      Delete
  5. I frequently change my routine. I don't know if that's the best thing to do, but it works for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things have to flow with life. My kids are not static and neither am I... If it works, great! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm not buying that human thing. I don't get nearly that much done in a day. You're amazing, Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being able to blog at work is a real plus. If you couldn't do that, I imagine the enterprise of blogging would've become insurmountable a long time ago.... just too much work and not enough time. I'm glad you've found a way to balance it all out!

    I think I'd do better if I set a more restrictive schedule for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a job where I was able to complete an entire novel ... by hand! Loved it.

      Delete
    2. I really couldn't keep up otherwise.

      Delete
  8. I still believe in the clones. Since I know write full time, I use a few hours in the morning to take care of blogging and promotion stuff then write in the evening. I wish I could stick to a better schedule like Alex does but I get distracted by projects.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alex is human? Nope, I don't believe it! :P

    I always get my social media out of the way first then any errands that need attention, so the rest of the day can be used for writing, blogging, or marketing. With some reading time thrown in. Although, I've been in a reading slump lately.

    I wonder what time Alex wakes up and goes to bed...that can make a difference, you know. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Yeah. He didn't tell us, did he? Alex???? :P

      Delete
    2. I'm up between 5:00 and 5:30 am and go to bed around 10:00 pm. I'm to the point that New Year's Eve just about kills me.

      Delete
  10. This is a wonderful post. Though I see it in black and white, I still don't understand how the Ninja manages all he accomplishes.

    As a single mom, I used to have a pretty good sense of balancing. Things have been rather off this year but I'm returning to prioritizing things with my daughter, writing and working full time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things have been way off for me ever since my last one! I'm trying to find balance and I think I'm just starting to figure that out. Ugh

      Delete
    2. You have a lot to juggle, Angela.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like you have it under control. Balance is the key, and of course being able to blog/comment from work, vital. You do it well, and we all appreciate it! Keep it up.

    Thanks for the post, Alex, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's good at what he does! You're welcome :)

      Delete
  12. I come with a handicap of Fibromyalgia. When I ignore that, my balancing act falls apart for a while. Normally, I love doing my three blogs, visiting other blogs, yard work, house work, and especially my volunteer work... cooking for homeless shelters.

    Alex always amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you make the most of every part of your day. (Yeah, kids take a lot of time!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've decided my pitfall is lack of schedule. Yours is neatly compartmentalized and coordinated. I'm always doing a thousand things at once. A thousand things, but none done very well.

    I've been working on being more focused. That's what I need...focused efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schedules make a huge difference. Been there, done that...

      Delete
    2. I think men just focus better. At least, that's what my wife says.

      Delete
  15. Alex, you are awesome! I bow to you, all awesome Ninja Captain. I don't think you realize it, but you accomplish a lot and you never complain. Also, it sounds like you really like all aspects of your life, which is very admirable. I definitely want to be like you when I grow up:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good to see Alex here. I agree, it really does often come down to priorities and discipline with our time. That and being flexible as necessary. Thanks for hosting, Elizabeth! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is precious and being wise with it is key!

      Delete
  17. Human? Hmmm. Super-human perhaps.
    Just reading about Alex's day leaves me tired. V tired. Love and admire his discipline though.
    Thanks for showing us a side we suspected, but didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not super-human. Just a dude with a few books and even more guitars.

      Delete
  18. Way to go with that balance, Alex! I appreciate that you listen to your wife and spend time doing the things you love outside of writing and blogging.
    I balance my family (kids and hubs - together and individual, + parents who live close), writing, blogging, and teaching on an extremely part-time basis, plus exercise (not enough - need more of that), friends, and some volunteering (minor, for my church type).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife is the second most important person in my life - I have to listen!

      Delete
  19. That is one full schedule. The blogging at work bit helps. Blogging is one thing I've scaled back on enormously in order to spend time on other things in the few hours I have after work.

    On the other hand, I'm still going with the clones theory... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a big juggling act. It's true you have to choose how you spend your time and what has priority. It helps if you love what you do and you have couple time and outside activities beside writing, blogs, and work. But still...100 blogs? Yikes.

    I know that before Dan and I had our son I did so much more and some of the same things you do with dinner and church, my job was a bit elastic but I wasn't blogging then. :-) I understand feast and famine. Time was very scarce AC--after child. Now that he's 20 it's not quite as time intensive. Right now I'm trying to revamp scheduling and reinstitute more hubs and me time again. It's been a bit rocky in the carving out joint time but we're getting there!

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scheduling time does make a big difference along with an agenda to fill it! xD

      Delete
    2. Spending time with your husband is important. Like what you did this past weekend!

      Delete
  21. So the Ninja Capt'n is human after all! You still impress us very much Alex. Nice to see Alex here Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have to juggle procrastination now that I'm unemployed :) Too many other "hobbies" to rival writing/reading. And of course, I'm not social enough to visit all my blog friends every day. Should leave much more time for writing.

    I know what you mean about prioritizing though. Writing and blogging does not have to consume your life, even when you can do it from work. When I stick to a schedule (even when working) I also get a lot done without feeling too overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You said it, "I think it all comes down to priorities. What’s important?"
    I'm constantly juggling badly, but I'm still at it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad you make time to exercise. That's important to me, too. It helps me handle stress. And it's great that your wife keeps you accountable! I think being consistent, even with small doses of writing, helps me the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie, my wife would have it no other way.

      Delete
  25. Since I retired I've had a lot more time to watch out for. Sometimes I find that I'm frittering away my excess time and have to pull in the reins. It's better when I schedule my day.

    http://www.karenelizabethbrown.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Way to go and keep it up Alex. Stay healthy . . . we need your inspiration (but keep your perspiration to yourself!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sorry for the late comment: I worked 24 of the 48 weekend hours, slept most of Monday to heal, and today is Chore Day. Like Dean says: stay healthy -- your friends want you around to visit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will stick around!
      And hey, your comment isn't nearly as late as my reply...

      Delete
  28. That's quite a lot to accomplish in a day!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like the title... we all wonder how on earth Alex juggles everything... seems like he has the perfect balance!
    Go Ninja Captain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I strive for every day! :D

      Delete
  30. Wow, a hundred blogs a day. I can't even do a quarter of that. I guess that gives me something to aspire to. Congrats on having found a great routine that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Alex seems very focused and balanced. I try to be the same way. I have a to-do list I stick with and I try to write and do social media during empty spots of the day--but not during the day job since mine is very hectic and keeps me occupied from the moment I get in to the moment I leave. I will check email during lunch and breaks, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just fortunate my job has a lot of down time.

      Delete
  32. Wow, 100 or more comments in one day! Amazing. It does help to be able to blog at work -- I have time at lunch to put up a post, but never time for commenting... I wish reading vacations would be made mandatory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do admire how he has a handle on things!

      Delete

Welcome to my blog! I love reading your comments, so please don't be shy and comment away. Also, because of the outrageous number of Anonymous Spam comments I've been receiving, I have opted from that availability--I apologize for any inconvenience!